Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pumping and work - Help!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

You are pumping on top of breastfeeding your baby. When you return to work and pump instead of breastfeeding your baby you will find it easier to get more milk.

When you are pumping on top of breastfeeding your baby then you will not get much milk out. This is normal. Your milk supply is in line with your baby's needs.

So to build up a stored supply for returning to work you need to pump whenever you have a spare moment (usually when your baby is asleep). It is even fine to pump right before a feed - so long as you aren't doing this for every feed.

Don't worry if you only get a small amount - just add wherever you do get together until you have the amount you want. It might take a few days to get enough milk for one feed but that is OK just remember when you label it that the date is the date of the oldest milk.

When you actually return to work and are pumping instead of breastfeeding your body will be expecting to give the milk to the baby and so more likely to give it to the pump. But remember some mothers find pumping very easy and others find it hard. As you do it more and more you will get used to it and find it easier.

As you are finding it hard to get any milk out after a feed try pumping in-between feeds instead. If the baby is going two hours between feeds pump after one hour and if the baby is going three hours between feeds pump after one and half hours. Remember to only pump for about 10 minutes. You will get more milk if you pump three times for 10 minutes than if you pump once for 30 minutes.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Thanks Sarah, i read your reply few times for me to understand it well. Got it! i will try pumping in-between feeds, baby sucks for 30-40 mins, which means i will pump in just a few minutes ;-) Thank God i'm not working so i can do all these things. My husband said he leaves and comes home, all i do is BF, we make fun of it but that's the truth. All i do now is BF and pump. Wonder when will it stop and everything will go on smoothly. Don't get me wrong, i'm happy to do it for my baby.

solidstars is offline Registered User

have you tried another type of pump? i read somewhere that different pumps works differently for people. some might get really good results on 'product A' but others might find that it doesn't work at all for them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12