Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Does your baby do this before falling asleep?

carey is offline Registered User

Does your baby do this before falling asleep?

My son is five weeks old. There are about two to three feeds a day when he gets very cranky and fussy. He cries when he does not get the bottle ( or my breast) he still cries when he gets it. Sometimes he would have this "funny little mouth dance" while crying. WHen you try to give him the nipple, he takes it in his mouth, shake his head around while crying. It's very frustraing and tiring to settle him down when he does this. But I know when I see this sign, he is tired but can't fall asleep yet. Have you seen this in your babies? How do you handle it?

The second theme is sometimes after a feed, he would crie and scream for about one hour before he falls asleep. Even though, when he does this we made sure he has clean diaper, tried to burp him, but nothing quiets him down unless he falls asleep himself. Is this normal?

Thank you.

joannek is offline Registered User

i think he's over tired. in a dark room, hold him close, do the "sh....sh....sh..." right next to his ears. if you're ok with pacifiers, give him a pacifier to suck, while you "sh.." right next to his ears, patting his bump rhythmatically, & walking around, he should quiet down right away & start closing his eyes.

good luck!

with a five week old, he's just started to not sleeping all the time, and he doesn't sleep when there's action around. try not to keep him awake for more than 2 hours. 1 hrs & 45 mins after he's awaken from his previous nap, start putting him in a darkened room & let him nap. if he yawns once, he's already tired. by the time he has yawned 3 times, he's overly tired already. (read this from Baby whisperer & gina ford)

Dink is offline Registered User

Hey there - I would agree, sounds like your baby is tired and just overwhelmed by this new world he's found himself in. At 5 weeks my little one couldn't manage anywhere near 2 hours, more like an hour to an hour and a half after waking she needed another nap. The shush pat which joannek describes worked great at calming her ready for her nap too. I know its very hard when they cry like that and nothing you do seems to help them, but as they get older this passes (mostly!). I used to find afternoons were the worst and actually it was pointless trying to put her in her crib at this time, the best thing to do was let her take a sleep on me, anything to get her to sleep (and I could sleep too ;0). If the baby is flipping out completely you can try switching the hoover on, this sounds weird but the noise of it seems to help them reset themselves, we did this one a few times!

geomum is offline Registered User

Your baby might be having gas in his tummy which is especially troublesome in the evening. Make sure you burp him after every feed and give him Infacol or some other gas medication before every feed. Consult your Paed before you take my advise on the medicine.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

What I discovered from my son around that age is that sleep is a very learned skill and not to be taken for granted by little newborns just out of their sleepy stage. He might have just started to wake up to the world more, judging by his age, and hasn't figured out how to put himself to sleep yet. I had a hard time with my son(now 5.5 mo) but more in the daytime napping department.
    He could have gas, yes. Also he might just get himself worked up, and be overtired and go in this cycle. Does he suck a pacifier? Mine didn't and let me tell you, when he found his hands at about 2 months, life became a lot easier for me:)
    I'm sure you're doing a great job - some things are out of our control. Think about the gas thing and just continue doing what you're doing - comforting and loving your little, confused and fragile baby.
    Hope tonight was a bit better.

putput is offline Registered User

At 6 weeks, colic kicked in for my daughter as well as a growth spurt. Maybe discuss with your paed and s/he will be able to tell you what's going on.

joannek is offline Registered User

besides the sound of the hoover, air dryer works well, too. =)

let us know how he is after our advice.

carey is offline Registered User

Hi ladies, my laptop broke down and I only get to go online when my husband came back to work with his laptop.

By the way, I listen to BABY PLUS "religiously" :) (sticking to the two times a day, one hour per day as much as I can). But he does not seem like a calm baby.

I have a question, what is awake for two hours? Has it to be a continuous two hours? If he takes a cat nap like for half an hour in bed or in our arms does that count as sleep?

He sometimes finishs one feed and awakes until the next one with sleeping only a 15 to 30 mintues in our arms in between.

He loves paficifier. I have been feeling guilty about giving him one too earlier ( in the second week). It quiets him down a bit when he gets the dummy. But if when he temper is on with red grimacing face he won't even take the dummy. This is when he does his month dacing around the dummy or nipple. But he would take it after he stops crying and he sucks on it really hard.

I found taking him to a dark room helps him to sleep. It's easier to do this in the night when outside is dark too. He is a fussy sleeper too. He wakes or startles at noises. Sometimes he only sleeps when I or the helper holds him. We tried to put him down to avoid making him too used to sleep in our arms. But he wakes up shortly after being put down shortly.

We try turing on hair dryer when he cries. It does work.

We are scheduled to take him to a Paed in two weeks. I have lots of question for her.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will let you know more.