Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feeding water to baby in hot weather ?

csj
    csj is offline Registered User

Feeding water to baby in hot weather ?

Hello,
    I am exclusively breastfeeding my son who's 3 months, but at the end of July we will go for a short holiday in Cambodia (he will be 4 months then) and would like to know if I should give him some water (mineral or distilled) in between the feedings to prevent him from being too thirsty and dehydrated.
    I know I should not feed him water yet but my parents (when they came to visit and every time we talk on the phone) always tell me to give him some water because of the heat in HK and insist even more for the Cambodia trip. I know they mean well but knowing that the weather will be much hotter and dryer in Cambodia, I am now wondering if they could be right and if I should take their advice.

Thanks for your feedback.
    c.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

If he is thirsyy he will breastfeed more often, not necessary to give any water. Follow your baby's cues and he won't be dehydrated.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Actually Cambodia will be in the throes of the rainy season at the end of July, so the temperature might even be a bit cooler than HK because of that, and definitely not drier.
    As the above poster said, breastfeeding will quench his thirst.
    I would take precautions for mosquitos more than anything.

csj
    csj is offline Registered User

Thanks for your replies. I've read some similar older threads and it seems that everyone agrees on feeding baby more. So I will see how it goes I guess.
    ... and yes the mosquitoes, almost forgot about them! I'm thinking of bringing some patches to put around bub and an electric diffuser for the room to deter the insects. I'm not sure about spraying/applying chemicals on the delicate baby skin though... do you have any 'natural' based product to recommend?

Frenchy is offline Registered User

You can order the mosquito repellent at Organic food & eco-friendly product with home delivery (it's in DB), you can apply it on baby's skin. It works great with my son !
    You can also find some at 360, from AZIAL, I love their After Bite Repellent, 100% natural !
    I agree with the BF, your milk is 90% water...

YTV
    YTV is offline Registered User

I follow the Gina Ford book and she suggest giving baby water at 3-4 months. I started weening my baby off his night feed by offering him water. I also give him water around 4pm. When I go out with my baby and it's really hot. I give him some water and he seem to be thirsty and he wellcomes the drink.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

As Frenchy mentioned earlier breast milk is mainly water and so if your baby is thirsty he will tend to have more short feeds. In fact as a breastfeeding counselor in Hong Kong this is really easy to see. We get a lot more calls from mothers in the summer months worried about the baby having lots of short feeds than we get in the winter.

Remember that as soon as your baby is given water (or any other food or liquid) your baby stops being an exclusively breastfed baby. The maximum health benefits occur while the baby is still being exclusively breastfed. Please do not feel under pressure to add to your baby's diet until he starts to show signs of wanting solid food around the middle of his first year.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

p.s.
    You might like to get a mosquito net for the baby's bed while away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast