Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rash on Cheeks

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Let me share some of experience here but I am not sure if the situation of my son's rash is the same of that of yours.

My son's skin was perfectly smooth when he came home from hospital until about 2 weeks later when I noted some sesame-like spots started growing all over his face & neck. Up to 5 weeks, the situation got really bad as I started to worry about his skin condition. Asked different people (laymen, doctors, old mums, young mums, etc) and read two books for relevant information, I got a general explanation: they are infant rashes and will go away naturally after 2 or 3 months. Medical professionals said they are remains of mother's hormones so those babies are breastfed tend to have the rash longer than those are formula-fed. I breastfed my son for 6 weeks and thought about giving up on it because of his nasty rashes (kept wondered if I had eaten something irritated his skins...etc, always tended to blame myself for making my son's face so ugly!) I finally stopped breastfeed (because I couldn't bear the nipple pain anymore!) and put my son my formular. His rashes did not get well at all.

Plus, I've two books and they said about 60% of newborns suffer these 'infant rashes' and they are ripe when a baby is between 2-8 weeks but will go away 'naturally' afterwards.

As my son never showed any crankiess, fussiness; instead, he slept well, fed well, and was completely calm, I therefore chose to wait and see. And yes, his rashes gradually disappeared after about 10 weeks, and his face is now as smooth as silk! He's now 14 weeks.

Last edited by OX Jess; 09-24-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

My daughter is having the same and i have been worried and plan to check with the doctor this sat.

Glad to read above on OX Jess's post that it could be infant rash. I was wondering if we haven't bathed her enough, the shower gel is causing this or the detergent is too strong etc. I am not breastfeeding so it's not my intake of food, and I was wondering if the shower gel/detergent is the culprit, why these sesame like bumps only appear on the face, neck and chest area close to the neck, but not the rest of the body.

I really hope that they will go away eventually..

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

My son had a rash when he was around 11mths old and it spreading all over his body. We took him to see a Dr we were told that it was a common skin problem. He was put on oral medication and the rashes went away in 2 or 3 days. Now when he gets hot, he'd come down with a heat rash and Calamine lotion seems to do the trick because it dries up the area. It's always good to have some Calamine handy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12