Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How Many Times Does Your Baby Wake in the Night?

musicalmama is offline Registered User

# of wakes:0-1
    Why: She started being like this at 6 weeks old. I think she's more satisfied being bottlefed.
    Breast bottle or both? Breast fed in the first five weeks, bottle fed afterwards
    Why does your baby sleeps through?
    We did use the "happiest baby on the block" method....using white noise, swaddling tight enough, milk shake to soothe her. We also make sure that she's well fed before going to bed. She simply just sleeps through from 7-7.

I love reading all your methods. I think I just lucked out but with my next future baby I'd love to learn more techniques to soothe babies.

Michelle
    Baby, Children, Maternity, Family Photographer
    Welcome to Garthe Photo Arts, Hong Kong
    on Summer sale!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Hi

I do think that the formula seemed to keep my baby full for longer. I breastfeed almost all feeds until baby was 11 months but from quite early on I replaced the last feed of the night with formula. While he was still waking at 3am ish to feed then I would breastfeed him because it was easier than mucking around with bottles at that time. I think that the solids helped too. We were able to phase out the dream feed by about 7 months as he was more established on solids by then and was having a baby rice at 5.30pm ish then breastfeed at 7pm and dream feed formula at 10pm - 10.30pm. Because we were trying not to wake him for the dream feed, keep him sleepy, I found it easier to get a bottle into his mouth than breast feeding.

Good luck, the night wake ups are not easy but it should pass soon.

SB2

lilypotter2009 is offline Registered User

I didnt face any of these problem actually Lily used to wake at about 1am and then again at 4am. Now she goes from 9pm - 7am. Sometimes she wakes at 5am eats 4oz and then sleeps until 8am.

HV said she may start to wake again soon!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

My baby USED to be the world's best sleeper, I think. She was sleeping from midnight til about 7am at only a few weeks old or so. Then she was sleeping from 10-8, wake up for a snack, then sleep until 10am between 3-6 months old. Ever since she hit 7 months though, SOMETHING changed, I don't know WHAT. She's 9 months old now and her sleep patterns are driving me insane!! She goes to bed between 9 and 10, then wakes up at about 1am for a feed and goes back to sleep, then wakes up at about 4am for another feed, and then at 7-8am and is ready for the day. I have a few "theories" about why she is waking so much... maybe it's because of our change in schedule - my husband is studying part time at the moment and gets home between 9-10, right as my baby's going to bed. She's eating solids, maybe needs more? But doesn't WANT more. She's always the one who tells me when she's finished eating. I offer until she's not interested any more. Maybe she's just too interested in the world at the moment? Maybe it's because she doesn't get enough milk during the day? She's easily distracted when feeding now - and feeds for only a few minutes at a time. Her night feeds are her best feeds... (she's still breast fed)

I don't know why her pattern changed when we were doing so awesome!! But I know it's not forever. I've tried a million things to help her sleep better at night - but it doesn't seem to be harming her... it only makes ME more tired... I'm pretty exhausted most days at the moment!! Any suggestions that I haven't thought of would be greatly appreciated ;)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

There is the theory that babies should go to bed sometime around 7pm. They`re supposed to get their best sleep in the late hours of the night. I don`t know though. I have juggled around my baby`s sleeptime from time to time.
    Maybe you can gradually change her bedtime to see if it gives her more consistent sleep?
    Other than that, I can see all of your theories being pretty in tune with what is probably happening.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

My baby is 11 months now and though she used to sleep around 8 (never at 7pm - just didn't work for the family)...she is sleeping later now at around 9ish...I was pretty upset at first cause things were working out well...she'd go to bed and then me and hubby could go out for dinner...now, it's much harder cause I feel guilty about leaving her with the nanny (though she's good) when she could actually spend time with daddy instead...anyhow, I've come to accept the fact that as long as she's sleeping 10 hours / night + 2 naps during the day it's OK whatever time she does it (as long as it is not ridiculous hours...) it is exhausting and i've tried more feeding / more milk / naps that do not exceed 2 hours long / no naps after 5:30pm. etc etc....they do say though...with babies when something is working well that is when they change on you! So bear with it! Today I napped for an hour after work! Exhausting you're right!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    There is the theory that babies should go to bed sometime around 7pm. They`re supposed to get their best sleep in the late hours of the night. I don`t know though. I have juggled around my baby`s sleeptime from time to time.
    Maybe you can gradually change her bedtime to see if it gives her more consistent sleep?
    Other than that, I can see all of your theories being pretty in tune with what is probably happening.
    I've heard that and tried it but it doesn't seem to work... if she goes to bed at 7, she thinks it's just a late afternoon nap, then she wakes up all happy and doesn't want to go to bed for the night until midnight!! I never "tried" to get her bedtime at any specific time, just tried to follow her natural routine... I have moved her bedtime forward though - she used to sometimes go to bed as late as 11 or 11:30 - now most nights she's in bed by 9:30 and I don't let her stay up later than 10 at all. I could try making it earlier, but I'm afraid it will just make her wake up earlier in the morning!! Going to Australia in 2 weeks though so probably won't make any drastic changes before then... although maybe on second thoughts I SHOULD start before then because there's a 2 hr time difference so maybe it will help her to adjust better... last time we went, the first couple of nights, she stayed up til 1am!!! (at the time, that was 10pm Hong Kong time, her regular bed time)...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123