Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Feeding Chinese food to baby

reei is offline Registered User

shenzhennifer,

you must be horrified , i would too. your chinese colleagues are terrible.. !!!
    but luckily i have not meet anyone that .. pushy.. normally, when ppl give me advice. that i can start feeding my kids this and that..i'll just keep quiet.. and if i refuse to feed my baby certain food, they'd better respect me for that.. or else , i'll jump at them.. like a lion...

hehe..
    have a nice day

lesliefu is offline Registered User

everything in moderation is a good way to go (except for sashimi)...when I go to restaurants and ask if they have MSG in the plain congee - some say yes, others say, no we don't have MSG in our food...but then I taste the food, it's too good to be true....I think they're putting in chicken powder instead...not "MSG" but same kind of thing - what do you do?!? I try bringing my own food, but last minute decisions to stay out kind of screw me up and I end up buying bottled food (organic)...but, I'm not sure which is better "adult" food or bottled food that is "organic" - what do you guys think?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    everything in moderation is a good way to go (except for sashimi)...when I go to restaurants and ask if they have MSG in the plain congee - some say yes, others say, no we don't have MSG in our food...but then I taste the food, it's too good to be true....I think they're putting in chicken powder instead...not "MSG" but same kind of thing - what do you do?!? I try bringing my own food, but last minute decisions to stay out kind of screw me up and I end up buying bottled food (organic)...but, I'm not sure which is better "adult" food or bottled food that is "organic" - what do you guys think?
    I think that neither is really "better." If it's organic, then there is the advantage that it probably isn't contaminated with pesticides and other yucky substances. There is only so long that you can feed your child organic baby food from a jar, though--it's different if your baby is under 12 months old but once they really start eating and are totally off breastfeeding or the bottle then most are pretty reluctant to go back to mushy, unflavored food (especially if they've had Chinese grandparents sneaking them butter sugar cookies when their parents are looking).

For us, it's a totally different story at home. I'm really picky at home because I have full control over my son's eating habits there. So, it's always honey or stevia instead of sugar and if it happens to be sugar its raw, organic sugar. It's a bit of selenite sea salt here. Virgin olive oil for cooking. Veggie and fruit smoothies. Limited dairy intake (he still gets plenty of calories and calcium). Organic soy milk. Meats I can say that are reasonably safe and toxin free (not quite free-range but...).

When we go out to eat, I've found it's just way too stressful to be having to run off to buy my child a jar of food when he's hungry and wants to eat what everyone else is eating too--he is a part of the family afterall. I used to be really picky at restaurants as well and I'm sure my Chinese in-laws think I'm coo-coo, but I guess what has happened to me is what happens to most new parents--we chill out a bit--pick our battles a little more carefully and do our best to find the middle ground when it comes to food choices.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123