Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Is my boss right to get mad?

bart is offline Registered User

Is my boss right to get mad?

Can you guys tell me what you think?

I have been at my job for about 3 months when I first got pregnant last year, this job did not turn out to be what I expected when I first took it up.. I was not kept busy and the lil dept was a mess. But I was pregnant already so I knew I wasnt going to find another job and an easy job suited me at the time bcoz i was suffering from morning sickness. Now i have been at work for 3 weeks after my 10 weeks paid maternity leave and still not busy (I sit at my desk for days without have a task to do!) but work is tearing my time away from my 3 months old. I tried talking to my boss today about the possibility of doing part time contract work here, I thought it will be best for both me and the company.. i get to spend more time at home with bb but still get my job done here and he gets to cut some costs..

He was pissed! saying that he was disappointed i am even making that request, exaggerating the time i was away on paid maternity leave (4 months?! come on! if only the benefit is that great) and that i should have plenty to do except that he's been too swamped to pass me work (it's been more than a year?! it sounded like a lame excuse to push the blame onto me). He did say at the end that he will check with HR to find out if there's contractual work at this dept.. but he made the whole conversation very unpleasant and didnt leave me any room for discussion.

I do feel a lil guilty about the request since i did just come back from maternity leave, but wasn't I entitled to that benefit for having working 40 consecutive weeks before i gave birth? And its not like i am quitting right away.. i am still going to get the work done by doing part time and honestly, it's not like my position is really necessary here. My boss is always saying how he values family time and 'oh you take all the time you need' but when it comes down to it, everything he said is just BS. At this point, I really dun mind quitting if he continues to give me a hard time.. the salary is hardly worth it!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

If your salary is hardly worth it, I would quit your job, stating quite honestly that the salary and lack of duties does not make it worth it to spend so much time away from your small baby, who, developmentally, is in the most important year of her life, one that you will never get back.

Your boss obviously is talking from a very traditional man`s voice. It`s not his fault. He is just a businessman.
    I would congratulate you on having the guts to approach him like that, and don`t worry about feeling guilty. It is just an emotion, and emotions pass. You were right to try to take control. I would either pursue it to get what you want, or just quit altogether and find another job perhaps when your baby turns 1 or something.
    Good luck.

carang is offline Registered User

i wouldn't have been able to let him talk to me that way. i would have very calmly corrected his assertion about time away. told him that i had nothign to do, no work to keep me occupied and that i felt like i was just wasting time sitting around all day.

i would have told him that i was TRYING to save him $ and me wasted time. if he has work for me, fair enough. how can he possibly be so busy he can't pass work onto me? and if he doesn't, then how inthe world is that MY fault?

i probably would have gotten fired for it, though...can't stand people like that....

bart is offline Registered User

thanks for the responses.. i feel more assured now, at least i have other moms agreeing with how i feel. It does help to fuel my anger too though! I am not going to let him talk to me like that again.. to think that he prides himself in being a cool surfer dude from california i really didnt expect him to be this mean about it!

I think I will wait a few days for him to get back to me and if it doesn't work out I can always tender my resignation.

Scroll to top