Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Langkawi vs. Kota Kinabalu

stacy is offline Registered User

Langkawi vs. Kota Kinabalu

Has anyone been to either or both. Any recommendations as to which place is better to visit. I will be traveling with my husband and 2 small children (age 4 & 2) and plan on staying at a resort.
    Thanks
    Stacy

reei is offline Registered User

i've been to langkawi, not with any kids at the time though. depends, langkawi would be a great place for snorkeling ,
    if u drive, u can drive around the island. resort, a good one would be tanjung aru resort. the sunset view is amazing.
    i've never been to kota kinabalu for holiday, so i am not sure about the resort, but my friends mainly go there for scuba diving.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Hi Stacy

We went to Kota Kinabalu last year when I was pregnant and it was very child friendly. They have a great kids pool, play room and activities. The good thing was its pretty close to the airport and you can get a transfer from the hotel, the drive was only 20-30min. And its a short flight from HK.

We were only there for a long weekend but there were plenty of families. I'm sure someone who has taken kids will have more to say.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

We have just been to Kota Kinabalu Rasa Riat, and it was really great with children, lots of place, big swimming pool, club for 4 to 12 yo, nice kids menus... It was 45 mn from the airport (in any case, it's cheaper to take a taxi from the airport than to ask for a shuttle transfer).
    Enjoy !

syuan is offline Registered User

We stayed at the Four Seasons Langkawi with our then 2.5 year old and nearly 4 year old. All the restaurants and staff were incredibly kids-friendly. Even the room itself, they had already prepared kids robes and bubble bath and shampoo and two extra beds. Our kids had fun at the beach and pools and at the kids club (which is not big, but we didn't actually spend a lot of time there). On one rainy afternoon, we went to the aquarium and then went to have dinner at another resort in the mountains so that the kids could watch the monkeys swinging around in the trees. It was a great trip enjoyed by all!

dolphinyp is offline Registered User

We went to both places, loved the Westin Langkawi, a beautiful hotel with wonderful breakfast, were there when pregnant, so not sure about baby friendly or not. We spent 10 days in Kota Kinabula @ shangri la Tanjung Aru, got the deluxe seaview suite in the hotel, the best view ever, miss it and love it. Totally baby friendly, spacious kids room, loads of activities, plentiful kids menu. Definitely would go back soon. Heard that the Rasa Ria Hotel is also a lovely one and has a nicer beach. Located a bit far from the town but i think its okay, since the so called shopping area are not too impressive.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Thanks for posting OP I have been thinking of Langkawi with a 4 and 2yo! We loved Kota - as PP have said, very kid friendly and beautiful weather at Christmas time :)

stacy is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. Everyone's insight has been really helpful.