Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Varicose veins

putput is offline Registered User

Varicose veins

Hi there,

Does/has anyone else suffered with their varicose veins? I have been advised to have surgery as I'm in alot of discomfort but am not sure whether to have it now or after we've completed our family. If I have the op now, then will it recur during my second pregnancy and be just as bad?Or will it come back but not be as bad? I think it'll be pretty unbearable if I don't have the op and am pregnant again, but I'm wondering if there's any point in having it if I'll be back to square one during my second pregnancy.

Thanks in advance.

Hope the above makes sense!!

cesh is offline Registered User

I have a condition which has given me varicose veins since I was a teenager (sexy, I know). After many discussions with my vascular surgeon in Australia, the decision was made to avoid surgery (stripping the veins) at all costs. If you can find a good vascular surgeon here (I haven't yet), I would suggest talking to them about the option of injecting the veins instead - depending how severe the varicosity is and the extent of the problem for you. The Mayo clinic website has some good articles on newer and better treatments of varicose veins. If you are planning another pregnancy, I recommend the Jobst support stockings - they aren't that attractive, but you can get toe-less ones which make it a bit more bearable in summer. Good luck.

Hi Cesh,

Thanks so much for your response. Why were you advised to avoid at all costs? What would the injection do? Did you go for this option? I'll have a look at the website. Thanks!

cesh is offline Registered User

It was a while ago now, but it was largely that a) the veins were going to return in some manner anyway, and b) stripping would put more strain on the rest of my leg veins and possibly cause more to return.
    I think the injections were a saline compound and basically shrivelled up the targeted veins. It was a little uncomfortable for a few days and I had a tight bandage on for about a week - but could get up and walk etc straight away. There was no "recovery" time needed at all.
    If my Aussie vascular surgeon finds someone here he's happy to recommend, then I'll let you know. So far the people I have seen here haven't been much good - they just want to hand me drugs and cut me open without much discussion.

Matty is offline Registered User

Check out this website.
    It will give you an idea of some of your options.
    Veno Leg Vein Clinic - the expertise of Vascular Surgeons and Dermatologists

Thanks Cesh and Matty,

The surgeon did only offer me the option of surgery so it's good to know there are other options. Cesh, I see you are expecting. Are your varicose veins troubling you or are you ok?

asalles is offline Registered User

Hi Cesh,
    My husband and I are considering getting pregnant again, but worried about DVT. I was on Heparin with both my other pregnancies, but now, I am nearing 40 and my legs are constantly hurting me. Saw a vascular surgeon and hemologist (misspelled?) who is a doctor of the blood, but personally, didnt like either, as they couldnt give me straight answers as well. Were you able to find a vascualr surgeon here in HK, if so, pls pass info?
    Thank you so much, Ale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast