Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Motilium = Increase Breastmilk??

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

The problem with the domperidone is that the FDA in the USA has taken the drug off the market because of the side effects. The listed use of the drug is for gastric disorders and when using the drug for this much larger doses are required and these large doses can cause problems. When taking the drug for increasing breast milk no undue side effects have been noticed, and none in the babies. However the FDA is the law in the USA and so domperidone is not allowed to be sold.

There is an article which explains about using domperidone for increasing the milk supply at Breastfeeding: Domperidone to Increase Milk Production

And information about the FDA warning at Domperidone FDA Warning

It is only in the USA that domperidone is not allowed to be sold and used. It is fine to sell the drug in other countries, including Hong Kong. (And in the USA, mothers often go to Canada or Mexico to get the drug.)

Motilium is a brand name for domperidone and this drug is sold to help with gastric problems - not to increase the milk supply. The manufactures consider the increase in milk supply as a side effect of the drug.

For information about the safety of using dompridone while breastfeeding see my earlier post on this thread. (Lactation Risk Category: Ll = SAFEST)

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User

Thank you very much!

piper is offline Registered User

Hello Sarah,

It seems that I can only get 1 feed a day. Would this work to increase my supply?

Thanks

Dear Piper,

I don't really understand what you mean by "I can only get 1 feed a day".

If you want to increase your supply you need to be feeding your baby at least eight times a day - more if possible.

If your baby can not feed directly then you will need to pump or express instead. And as pumping and expressing are not as efficient as direct breastfeeding you may need to do more than eight times a day.

Maybe you could call me on 2548-7636 and give me more details of your situation and then I'll be able to give you more personalized information.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

bunintheoven is offline Registered User

Exclusive pumping

Sarah,

I have just started taking Motilium and have noticed an increase in my milk supply. My question is, if I started to exclusively pump, but continue with Motilium, would my supply decrease over time or would I need to continue breastfeeding and take Motilium to keep my supply up?

It is difficult to say what will happen if you exclusively pump as every mother's body reacts a little differently. Is there a particular reason for not directly breastfeeding?

Many things affect the amount of milk we produce.

Before the six week mark the breastfeeding is dependent on the amount of milk we remove from the breast AND the hormones in the mother's body. Your body needs a boost of hormones at least eight times a day. The pump can give you that boost but it is a much bigger boost if you are directly feeding. This is one of the reasons why mothers who are breastfeeding find it easier to establish the milk supply than a mother who is pumping.

After six weeks the levels of hormones in your body reduce and the milk supply is maintained by the replacing theory. The more milk you take out of the breast the more milk you replace. So if you pump or feed four times then you make four feeds worth of milk. If you pump or feed eight times you make eight feeds worth of milk.

One thing to remember is that the baby can usually drink much more at the breast than we can pump. So mothers that are directly breastfeeding make more milk than mothers who are exclusively pumping.

If you are having problems feeding directly at the breast please contact one of the LLL leaders. We will be able to help your baby feed directly.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12