Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HELP!! Domestic Helper

Obiwan is offline Registered User

HELP!! Domestic Helper

I will be delivering in 3.5 weeks and we urgently need to look for a domestic helper. If you know or hear of a good one, would very much appreciate a recommendation.

Getting worried, hopefully bub doesn't arrive early :(

Thank you so much.

deemama is offline Registered User

Hi there,

you can try searching online under
    The Expatriates guide to property, careers, travel and entertainment in Asia (need to pay HK$200)
    Hong Kong Expat - Hong Kong Apartments, Classifieds, Forums and Expat Jobs (free)
    Amahnet.com Homepage
    iMaids - Residential Maid Services - Free Estimates

most agents take a longer period of time and they might not be available in HK already. the good thing about agent is that you can keep changing maids till you find someone you like.

sounds like you need someone who is finishing contract so no need to go back home.

Im due in 5 weeks and im also looking for a foreign DH. Your last resort can be Chinese helper. They dont have visa issues, readily available but more expensive.

For an agent, you can try Hi-Cedar Employment Agency
    Ms Dora Tang - at Tel: 2632 7632

or if you're willing to pay up like around HK$20k a month, you can find a confinement lady who is PROFESSIONAL newborn care givers and she looks after your health as well. This could be your temp solution. let me know if you need more help.

Best of luck!

miao is offline Registered User

Re Hi-Cedar -- I used their service before and was not impressed.

carang is offline Registered User

i think it will be VERY difficult to find, hire and get visa for someone in 3.5 weeks. even if you find them today, it can take 4-6 weeks for the visa to be processed.

good luck! finding a helper that suits you and your family can be a challenge.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Hi

Agree re timing being tight to process an application this quickly if you are looking at a foreign domestic helper and want them to start when the baby arrives. You may need to hire a Chinese (legal) part timer to help out until your full time non-Chinese helper is back in HK and able to work.

We used Asia Xpat to find ours and after interviewing 9 ladies, we found someone that we really liked. We are coming up to our 2 year mark early next year and hopeful she will renew with no issues.

SB2

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

We also found ours through asiaxpat and I remember interviewing around five to six. We liked the idea being able to try them out first (couple of hours in the house doing some cooking and cleaning) before we hired. I don't believe you can do this if you're going through the big agents. If you like her, it's a simple process of getting an agent to do all the paper work. all this will take around 2 months if you're lucky!

madre2 is offline Registered User

If you use the asiaxpat site, make sure you speak to past employers even if they are no longer in HK and it is difficult to track them down. We hired our helper from asiaxpat, but she turned out not to have the skills/qualifications/experience she claimed. We did not speak to the previous employer (they had relocated). We terminated after 2 months and she is back on asiaxpat claiming to have new skills and qualifications and longer past contracts. Our fault for not tracking down the previous employer perhaps, or for being too trusting...

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Thank you very much!!! I have started arranging to meet up with some helpers from Asia Expat. It is correct that it will take too long to get one from the Agency and it's hard to meet these ladies as they are mostly in the Philippines. I have a confinement lady for the first month, so hopefully fingers crossed, I can have someone join us in October! Thanks again!