Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dr Patrick Chan - delivery?

premama is offline Registered User

Dr Patrick Chan - delivery?

Hi,

Has anyone used Dr Chan recently - is he pro-natural or pro-C section? I've heard good stories about him but just wondering if he is pro-C section like most doctors in HK.

Thanks!

baffelly is offline Registered User

My baby was delivered by him in January and I would highly recommend him. There was some slight complication so we have to do a C-section 3 weeks early but he has been very reassuring and made you feel calm and confident. Before the complication, he hasn't really push for C-section. My baby was in still in breech at a late stage and he said he could try to turn the baby if I had wanted a natural birth.
    Also see a recent thread comparing him and Dr Doo

wenyihsu is offline Registered User

I'm currently seeing Dr. Chan - pregnant with my 2nd. At least from my experience with him he's pretty neutral. I had a c-section with my first and was wondering what are the chances of a successful natural birth for the 2nd if we chose to go that route. Dr. Chan pretty much gave us all the facts and told us that it was my decision whichever route we decided to go. So as of now, we are still undecided and he's never brought up the topic again.

cesh is offline Registered User

A friend of mine had a natural with Dr Chan this year. No pressure at all for c-section and she was pretty laid back about taking it as it came (ie if he said she needed a c-section she would have gone with it). Nice to know you don't have to play hard ball with your Dr.

noopy is offline Registered User

Hi there... I'm thinking of switching to Dr Patrick Chan, but worried he is more pro C section? I noticed many here ended up having a c section due to a complication, even though he does not push for it. Has many had a natural delivery with him? How was it, was he actually there for it and how was his stitching?
    I definitely want natural, but my previous Dr who delivered 2 of my kids naturally wasn't even there for the entire delivery except for the last 15 min, and I want a different experience this time since my 2nd birth took 13 hrs on my own.

kindredspirit is offline Registered User

Hi, I had a natural delivery with him. Called him at 2am in the morning to ask him whether I should go to the hospital (he always answers once you page him!) and he came to the hospital at 4am when the nurses called him again to deliver my baby. He did mention that you might need a C-section if you are way past your due date but other than that I think he's quite neutral either way.

noopy is offline Registered User

thanks kindredspirit! i will make an appt with him and see how it goes!