Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you were given a choice.....

geocup Guest

If you were given a choice.....

To all the expat ladies who had their babies in HK - would you have preferred to have been in your home country to have your little ones or were you alright being away from family at this time? How did you cope being away from family?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I would have liked to have been home for my pregnancy, but mostly because I was completely alone here at the time (and in SZ) - it`s nice to experience these things with your friends and family. As far as giving birth though, I just wanted to have the baby wherever I was living, because that`s where my husband was. If we could have magically gone back to Canada for the whole thing, I would have been really happy to do so, but I knew that was impossible so I didn`t mourn the loss too much.
    I just visited home a few months ago and it was awesome and really made me want to live there again with the little one. But it`s not really in the cards now, and after the adjustment period of being back here, it`s all right. At least I don`t live near the in-laws. I think I`d die. So it makes me just want to live in a neutral country forever, hehe.

Matty is offline Registered User

I had both my boys here, and I definatley prefer it that way.
    It seems easier here to develop a circle of friends with other pregnant mums, and we still are a great support to each other.
    Back home my friends lives are too busy with work to make new friendships once they had children, and a couple of my friends are feeling a bit isolated because of it.

Both our families came up to visit around the time of both births, and it was nice, but it was nice to send them home again too.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

I agree with Matty. I had my son in HK and enjoyed every minute of it, as I could meet a group of pregnant mums and we all gave birth around the same period. As a result we meet often and all our children know each others, which couldn't be possible in my country, as very few of my friends have kids the same age (if none !). We are a great support to each others, and also there are many more baby friendly places/playgroups/playgrounds/shops than "home".

Michelle2009 is offline Registered User

I'm looking forward to giving birth in HK, even though we have no immediate family here. I am very impressed with the medical care here and the hospitals, which was not the case back in the UK. It used to take me forever to get an appointment with the GP on the NHS, and also the hospitals in our area in the UK left quite a bit to be desired.

Plus having just my husband and I in HK, it's been 'just the two of us' on this amazing journey, which has so far been a very special and enjoyable pregnancy (bar the sciatica!!). And being away from the MIL is the icing on the cake!!! In all seriousness, with the advancement of technology (Skype/Facebook etc), both sides of the family have been able to follow the pregnancy and whenever I have any questions, the mothers are only a call away and only all too happy to help.

Can't guarantee how I will feel in October after the little one arrives.....but watch this space!!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

I was so glad I had my son in HK. I had a pretty rough pregnancy and was happy to have the space away from family to be on my own. As mentioned above the medical care and hospitals in HK were so much better than what we would of had in Australia. And my husband and I enjoyed just the 3 of us for the first 4 months after my son's birth. It was such a special time for us and we cherished every minute. The financial crisis forced us to return to Australia early this year and I'm finding it very tough...as others mentioned its so much easier to meet up with women at the same stage of pregnancy. I feel very isolated and lost at times and often wished we had found a way of staying in HK. While its nice to see family and friends it sometimes gets a bit much as we were overseas for 10 years and used to only seeing them every few years.

carang is offline Registered User

i had both children here. i didn't particularly want family around for the birth, but i must admit i did miss my mother about 3 or 4 months AFTER the birth. during and immediately following the birth i was too exhausted. i was glad of the space away from family, but once i had fully recovered and was comfortable in my new role, THAT was when the "mum-sickness" set in... i still suffer missing my mum terribly.

geocup Guest

Thanks to everyone who has replied. It has given me food for thought. My husband and I are sitting down this weekend to discuss whether we head back to Australia (move fully paid for) or risk our chances and stay in HK where I would work and hopefully he would get another job. If we were to stay then the question is if we have kids here too? I can see that I would get 'mum-sickness' like Carang and my Mum would definitely be so sad to have me away from her whilst pregnant. However, Karmah1's comment also makes me think that if we were to move back to Australia, I would want to be back in HK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast