Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Recent experience at Adventist hospital

cary is offline Registered User

Hi Nino, did they tell you all rooms were not available when you checked in or you only found out after your surgery? Thanks.

nino is offline Registered User

They told us when they admitted me that there were no rooms. In retrospect, I would have tried to contact my doctor and try to reschedule the surgery (it was scheduled for 8.30 that morning). However, as a first time mom, I really didn't really know what to expect - and it was 6.00 am!

Nino, I am really sorry to hear your experience. I would also be very sad if I needed to stay in the surgeon floor. I plan for c-section in the afternoon. Probably I need to check if i can check in a day earlier to occupy a bed first. Thanks for your sharing.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by meimei View Post
    When I complained about it, the nurse said to me why don't you keep your baby in your room 24 hours. I said what about changing nappy and swaddling the baby. She said I'll teach you and you can do it all on your own! What a mean nurse!
    When I read this comment, I just thought that in the States where I gave birth, at a hospital that is very pro-breastfeeding (actually, they are pro whatever the mother wants--so if the mother is pro-breastfeeding they are pro-breastfeeding) the standard is that if you want to breastfeed exclusively right after the birth they request that you room-in with your baby. They will also keep your baby in the nursery for you but that means even if you ask that the baby be brought to you every two hours, that may or may not happen. And generally, new parents are taught right away how to swaddle their children and change a diaper so that by the time they leave the hospital (and for a lot of people that's within 24 hours of the birth) they will know how. It's really not very mean to ask the parents to room-in with the baby and begin to take care of the baby on their own. Now, maybe the nurse said these things in an unkind way, though and I totally believe that if you're paying others to do a service they should give you service with a smile.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

I agree thanka2. I was at Matilda and they are so good to you there that it would be easy to have them do everything for you when you are there and find that that you have no idea what to do when you get home. We had our baby with us most of the time and were taught swaddling and nappy changing right away. We had no idea about these things so both needed to be taught (including a very intensive lesson on bathing the baby!) so that we were confident when we left the hospital and were on our own.

SB2

ninahh is offline Registered User

just to let you know, adventist is under renovation and it is very loud. other than that i like it there. i had my baby in oct 2008, they were very busy at that time, but still tried their best. i just stayed with my girl in pediatrics and the nurses are perfect, caring and lovely
    good luck with everything

nino is offline Registered User

Hi Cary,
    We tried to check in the night before, as instructed by my doctor, since the surgery was scheduled for first thing in the morning. We were actually turned away! Luckily, we live in Happy Valley and so it wasn't such a huge deal to go back home, but emotionally, it was devastating.
    I think you are already much more prepared than I was for anything like this that may happen. Had I known that this was a possibility, I would have gone in ready to deal with this sort of thing.
    I'm not sure that it would help, but you may want to talk to your doctor and/or the hospital and try to discuss what you should do if this were to happen, rather than dealing with it when you are very emotional immediately before or after the birth.
    I posted my experience, not to be alarmist, but to help anyone who may have to go through what I experienced. I think it is best to be well informed and prepared. Again, best of luck!

Nino, that means we cannot check in the night before anymore? I was told we could do that as well.... It seems Adventist has quite some new unfriendly rules.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast