Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anyone wearing mask when going out now??

geomum is offline Registered User

Did anyone say they are curtailing all activity? Did anyone suggest that one day they will wake up and swine flu would have gone away? I don't think so, we all do what we can to be safe :)

reei is offline Registered User

btw, the only time when i do need to wear masks is when i have inconsiderate colleague coughing away and sneezing without even covering his mouth !!!
    or when i am sick myself..
    other than this,, what else can we do?
    rest well, wash hands frequently, drink plenty of water with lemon slice..

MamaC is offline Registered User

Yes I agree i guess wash hands more frequently is the best way to prevent,Good luck everyone and enjoy this very special moments~~

banane76 is offline Registered User

I've been wearing a mask in crowded places like the MTR on my doctor's suggestion. From what he said, it is serious if you get it while you're pregnant and I do not want to have to take Tamiflu which hasn't been tested for it's safety during pregnancy and on the baby. Otherwise, I don't wear the mask. Flu season is about to start so I don't think being cautious is being anal.

reei is offline Registered User

banane76, you are absolutely right. if u r pregnant, you have to take really, extra extra precautions. best to avoid crowded places and see if you can work from home, if you are working..

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    Did anyone say they are curtailing all activity? Did anyone suggest that one day they will wake up and swine flu would have gone away? I don't think so, we all do what we can to be safe :)
    No, she said this:

"Anyone not going out at all to prevent the H1N1??Me myself I'm cutting out most of the activitys.Am I worrying toooooooo much...."

I took the last part to be a question. Perhaps I simply should have said, "I think you are worrying too much" and left it at that.

Fisona is offline Registered User

Hi everyone,

I am now 27 weeks pregnant, due to business requirement & person reason, I needed to fly to Singapore and Japan both for a week while I was 20 weeks. Before I went to the trip, I was kind of worried and consulted my doctor.

My question to him, "What if I caught Swine Flu? What do I need to do?"

His response was a real spontaneous one, "So what? Swine flu is very common in HK now, who knows maybe after 6 months, a lot of ppl will have it, given that there are so many new cases in HK. Touch wood if you catch it, no need to worry as long as you do not have the side effects e.g. pneumonia, which would cause death. If you eat healthy & sleep healthy, then your body will be sufficient to fight against it. And as you will see, nobody in SG or JP are wearing masks now."

I came back in late August nice & healthy.

I am not wearing any masks now, just wash my hand frequently (without soup, I prefer less chemical) with water, e.g. when I come to office, when I come back home or esp. before eating.

No need to worry that much!

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    wearing a mask WILL NOT stop you from contracting the flu. it MAY stop you from spreading it. most people in hk don't wear the masks properly anyway.
    Flu is transmitted through droplets route from the infected individuals, so anything the infected individual does that generates aerosols would spread the virus, like talking, coughing, and sneezing. If you inhale the aerosols then you can be infected, or if the droplets fall on your hands, or you touched the objects with the fallen droplets (e.g. tables, keyboards, escalator rails, elevator buttons, etc.) and you touch the mucus membranes (e.g. eyes, nose, mouth) with your hands then you can be infected as well. That is why the government keeps stressing the importance of hand hygiene. Wearing a mask when you are sick is to prevent the droplets generated by you to infect the others, on the other hand, if you want to be protected from the others, you can also wear a surgical mask. It can effectively reduce the risk of catching the virus if you wear it properly and comply with the hand hygiene compaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisona View Post
    I am not wearing any masks now, just wash my hand frequently (without soup, I prefer less chemical) with water, e.g. when I come to office, when I come back home or esp. before eating.
    Washing hands thoroughly with liquid soap for at least 20 seconds can effectively prevent contracting and spreading communicable diseases. For proper ways to wash your hands and other health advices, please read

http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/fightpand...by_healthy.pdf

I am a nurse and I was an ICN (Infection Control Nurse) in a hospital before I resign to take care of my baby, please feel free to PM me if you have other concerns.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12