Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: How many square feet is your apartment? (gross amount)

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 600

2 2.47%
  • 600-799

12 14.81%
  • 800-999

8 9.88%
  • 1000-1299

16 19.75%
  • 1300-1599

14 17.28%
  • 1600 plus

29 35.80%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What size is your apartment?

mrg9192 is offline Registered User

3br, 2ba, 130 m2 (gross) 120 m2 net in Shenzhen's Futian district.

Glad I bought, but wish I had bought larger when the prices were low 4 years ago. Just converted study into a bedroom.

The apartment complex has a decent enough playground to get the kids and nanny out, but still is not the best place for quiet.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

1600 square foot, 3 bedrooms, in DB.

louisouis is offline Registered User

Apartment sizes in Hong Kong are definitely small small small! I have lived in various matchboxes which were disguised as apartments in Hong Kong for the past years. I have even lived in a 'studio' where the toiletbowl is next to the cooker separated by a very thin wall! It is definitely very difficult to get things organised as there is sooo little storage space. My previous apartment is about the same size as Shenzheniffer and I think it is the average size for many young families in HK who do not have expat housing allowances. It is definitely difficult (I found it extremely difficult and constantly moan to my husband) to get used especially if you are not local, but I presume the most important thing is that everyone is happy and cosy under the same roof.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

We've just moved to a three storey house in yuen long. Our previous place was also in yuen long but provided by the school my husband worked for and was absolutely hideous -- just under 400''!! I was going insane.

Our place now, which we've had to put furniture in but that suites us fine is 1,350 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (the entire third storey is the master bedroom so I have my office in here). We have a balcony from our bedroom and a roomy outside terrace on the floor where the kids' room and playroom is. We also have a garden & garage with a bit of grass but dont know how big it is hubby thinks about 600-800''

the best thing about this place? Our rent is HK$11,000/month, no management fee, we dont pay for our gardener. It was a sacrifice moving out into the boonies but one I've never ever looked back on.

Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

bloominginHK is offline Registered User

I must be the crazy one here... we have an amazing house... a total gift from God.. I actually don't have any idea on the size of the place but my guess is about 2500 plus a garden and two roof tops. But what I wouldn't give to move back to our original complex and have all the amenities, parks close by, etc.. to take my kids too. I live in Sai Kung and plan to get my license in the next few weeks so I'm hoping that will change my attitude. But we also inherited a lot of furniture that takes up too much space in my opinion but we can't do anything about it.

We had lived in a 700sq ft (maybe 650 usable) so I know what it's like but I really miss convenience of so many things.

geomum is offline Registered User

I do not think this poll truely represents the majority of HK population. Most people do not live in 1200+ apartments/ houses here unless they have a good housing allowance (Mostly expats) or they are living in NT/ Sai Kung/ Clearwater Bay etc.

Last edited by geomum; 08-26-2009 at 06:07 PM.

carang is offline Registered User

i don't think it was meant to be a survey of all of hong kong, rather just of the users of geobaby. i believe that most expats appreciate (or at least understand) that what they have IS special and that 90% of the population could never hope to dream of what we often take for granted.

my hubby, for one, grew up in old style gov't housing. their bathroom was pretty much outside. it was actually inside the building, but the "window" was just a big hole in the wall. there were 2 children, father, mother & uncle all living in 250'. they considered themselves fortunate. father was a civil servant and therefore got a bigger place. all of hubby's friends lived in 200'.

i don't think that my husband ever in his wildest dreams thought he'd end up in sai kung, in an entire house, with a bedroom bigger than the flat he grew up in.... as a matter of fact, our king-sized bed is about the size of his parents old bedroom!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    I do not think this poll truely represents the majority of HK population. Most people do not live in 1200+ apartments/ houses here unless they have a good housing allowance (Mostly expats) or they are living in NT/ Sai Kung/ Clearwater Bay etc.
    You`re right, it doesn`t. But I specifically was curious about the Geobaby community. I know the kind of apartments that your average Joe Wong lives in. Just can`t get used to it myself is all,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast