Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

best first solids?

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

solidstars,

you can help avoid constipation by offering your baby water with each solid meal. At 6 months I started my son on a sippy cup, took him a while to get used to it. And as he was formula fed I added an extra 10ml of water in the bottle with each feed to ensure he got the extra water.

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Hello, I need some advice:

My baby boy is 19 weeks and he is feeding on formular. As I want to add more fibre & iron to his diet, I am told that I may add some 'cereal powder' into the formular, e.g. one tablespoon once a day as a start.

Can anyone tell me if it's ok if I add one tablespoon of cereal powder into his formular once a day, as a start?

And, I checked the brand "HOLLE" on their cover they said their cereal is suitable for baby aged from 4 months. But two pacakges of them contains 'gluten'. Shall I avoid gluten?

Thanks,

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

I think he is too young to be given cereal powder and its not recommended to add to a bottle. Formula should provide sufficient iron and fibre in his diet. Its only after 6 months that a babies iron stores start to deplete, he would of got plenty of iron from you during pregnancy. If you think he is ready to start solids don't add it to the bottle but offer it on a spoon.

If you have allergies in the family I would avoid all cereals containing gluten till 12 months. You can start on rice cereal and most of them are iron fortified.

southside852 is offline Registered User

Like Rani said, we introduced new foods in the morning and on weekdays so in case of a reaction, doctors were around. We still did this after 14 months when introduced peanut butter to our son. I made sure it was a weekday and early enough so that I could go to our pediatrician if need be.

mnight is offline Registered User

feeding solids help

On my doctors advice I started introducing solids when my baby was about 20 weeks. We've been going about three weeks now. We tried rice cereal and that went down ok. Since then we've added pumpkin and carrot, waiting 3-4 days between introducing new foods. In the last couple of days we've noticed he has had a little more gas than usual, sometimes making him a little restless when sleeping. It is then solved by giving him some gripe water. He is also not drinking as much milk.

My gut instinct says lay off the solids for a bit but I think that he will still want them as he is enjoying the extra sustenance. I know that he should be sustained by just milk until 6 months but..?

Ma Ma Ape is offline Registered User

I'd say trust your instincts. My daughter is 6 months old and I started her with some solids 2 weeks ago. One should start with runny cereal with a spoon. Some babies may not like using a spoon because they are not used to it but it is a good idea to introduce the spoon when introducing solids. Introduce one type of solids at a time for about 3 days. Keep an eye out on vomitting, diarreah and rashes. If all seems well, then move on to another food.

solidstars is offline Registered User

mine's starting to wake up screaming/crying sometimes in the night... i think he's teething. either that or he REALLY doesn't like peas puree.

mnight is offline Registered User

I've been following the right process and he really likes his solids, I think it perhaps is just the change for his system, I think we'll slow it down for a couple of days and just stick with rice cereal and see how he gets on.

Not sure how I'd feel about peas puree myself

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast