Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water birhts or Home births?

Seahorse is offline Registered User

Water birhts or Home births?

Hello,

Has anyone given a waterbirth at home or a non-water birth but still a home birth here in HK? What Doulas would you recommend?

Thanks,

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I don't know of anyone--it's probably going to be hard to find someone who will admit to it as it's supposedly "illegal" to give birth at home here in HK. I think I vaguely remember someone talking about having a home birth here but I don't recall the link. Sorry. No matter what you'll have to go through a lot to get the birth registered including proving that the baby is yours and wasn't kidnapped. I think it's a bit ridiculous but that's just me.

little.fire is offline Registered User

i'm told that as long as the cord is still attached and the police can come in and verify that the child is yours, that there is nothing ILLEGAL about giving birth at home. i can't imagine the annoying paperwork and crap that follows, but..i would LOVE to hear what anyone else has to say or knows.

thanks.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

i had a home birth for my first child - in London. While it may not be entirely illegal to have a home birth here in HK it is definitely not supported in the same way. In London we notified the nearby hospital that i was labouring at home. My mid-wife had a direct number to get an ambulance to me in a hurry should it be needed. And the midwives were very experienced in home birth as they do it all the time. When i looked at how things would have to be done in HK in order to have a home birth, I wasn't prepared to take the risk or the HASSLE second time around.
    My comfy stay at the matilda softened the blow :o)

babylicious is offline Registered User

It's more than a midwife is willing to risk since their code of conduct disallows home births.

I doubt that having a baby at home is strictly illegal - you can always plead 'not enough time to get to hospital' - but as little.fire says, it's sure to be a whole lotta hassle.

Water births are also not supported by hospitals, including the Matilda.

Sorry.

Natalie'sMom is offline Registered User

I've looked and looked and looked and cannot find anything saying homebirth is illegal here. I did find some info that Hong Kong registered midwives can loose their license if they attend one which is where the idea comes from I think. I have spoken to people who have done it and they swear there was no hassle getting the baby registered. They made an appointment and said they were registering a home birth and took in photos of the mama pregnant and in labour as well as a few with the cord still attached etc but said they didn't ask for them. They did have several letters from HKID holders who were present at the birth as well. That being said it seems like what is and isn't a hassle depends 100% on who you deal with rather than an actual policy so I'd be prepared for a bit of a fight.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

This page talks about registering a birth in Hong Kong:

GovHK: Registration of a Birth

It does make a provision for if the child was born outside of a hospital.

As many of us can attest to, many things in HK, while not "illegal" are definitely taboo and troublesome.

Hulda is offline Registered User

Just to let everyone know, homebirths are not illegal in HOng Kong but neither supported or suggested by the medical community, nor are there midwives who are regularly enough doing them here for it to be as safe option as it would be for example in London.

There used to be a birth pool in the Matilda hospital for years but many doctors did not like the use of it so it was discontinued.

I have a birth pool that i use for early stages of labour at home when I attend births, and i find that it helps enormously. This way, most mothers can stay at home as long as possible (and safe, if you will) and have some ways to deal with the discomfort, but she will give birth in the actual hospital.

I have been at several accidental homebirths, or come there afterwards, and they have been slightly challenging to register but in no way impossible.

In Hong Kong, I would suggest to stay at home as long as possible as long as everything is normal, but homebirths here are probably not what I would suggest just because of lack of experience, transport options and support if, (in the rare cases) things are not 100 percent normal.

I hope this helps, - there seems to be many myths about this subject so this may clarify some.

Kind regards,

Hulda, - midwife at Annerley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast