Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions for destination for first trip with baby

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Suggestions for destination for first trip with baby

Our son is currently 5.5 months old and we plan to bring him back to Sydney to visit my in-laws at the end of January (when he will be 10 months old). However, before then, we plan to do a "test" trip somewhere in the region to see how he does when he is on a plane and travelling. Any suggestions for a good place in the region (3-4 hour plane ride away) to take a baby for a short 3-4 day holiday? Thanks!

Neha is offline Banned

Relaxing Vacations can be Phuket, Malaysia, Cebu, Bali all close by and pretty child friendly hotels/resorts

carang is offline Registered User

i would say the same thing.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Don`t do what I did and take him to a city like Bangkok. I was so stressed out.
    I only want to go to resorts now. I would choose Phuket.

rani is offline Administrator

Our test trip was to Bangkok for the weekend :)

It's a short trip. Baby was 7-months old. He was really playful on the flight. All the grannies wanted to hold him. Overall it was really easy.

2-weeks later we flew to San Francisco and that was an absolute disaster. He started teething, was throwing up on the flight, not sure if it was because of something I ate. He had the runs, and a fever, for the first few days, and by the end of the week, we had 2 beautiful pearly whites.

i would not hesitate to take my kids to bangkok. BUT, i would want a GOOD hotel, with a beautiful pool area. i would also look for a playroom in the hotel. (there are a few around.)

curious... why did you find it so stressful? i mean, i'm sure a resort would be less stressful, but just curious what was difficult for you about bangkok? i'm considering a trip there (just returned from a ladies' weekend) with hubby and kids in a month or so. i KNOW i would not be able to do the same things with my kids that i did without. but, overall, i was really impressed with the little bit i saw of it and am VERY eager to return.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I used to go to BKK all the time, but that was when I was on my own or it was just me and my husband.
    First of all, we stayed in a hotel faaaaar from town (no choice as had to follow the husband`s company), so we couldn`t `go back to the room for a rest` - if we were out we were out, and had to take long taxi rides into the centre.
    Our flight was also arranged by his company and couldn`t choose the airline - flew very early(so baby was crabby) on a dodgy airline that didn`t serve meals and had to pay almost 50% for the baby even though there was no seat for him(Orient Thai).
    Also, it`s way less stroller accessible than HK. At least at the MTR stations here have a handicapped exit SOMEWHERE. There, no way. You just have to go down steep sets of stairs to get onto to shoddy street. Tons of overpasses to cross the street in many places that also just have stairs.
    Many of the restaurants I usually like to eat in were not suitable for a stroller or with a baby at all.

I love Thailand and Thai people, and I even like bangkok, but I won`t be going back there til my son can walk well and we don`t need to bring the stroller around.

Oh, and this has nothing to do with bkk but my one respite of getting a foot massage was marred by hubbie remaining there and letting our baby fuss - real relaxing.
    Oh, and my husband`s work laptop got stolen at the airport.
    And my high stress caused us to argue most of the weekend...:(

wow! that sounds like a TERRIBLE weekend! yikes!
    i guess, i would be luckier as my kids are both able to walk (just spent 8 hours at disney with no stroller!).

i did wonder,though, what i would be able to do with the kids as i'm sure they wouldn't enjoy the shopping or massages as much as mummy would!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast