Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amnio ???

byebyehk is offline Registered User

Question Amnio ???

Hi ,

I'm carrying my first baby now, and failed the Down Syndrome screen at 12th week ( risk is around 1/200 ). Doctor suggested amnio . I did my studies and the procedure seems relatively safe, but I'm still scared by the idea of sticking a needle into the unterus.

Anyone here experienced the amnio procedure before ? I know most of the women are just fine and never need to worry about this. I just hope that I can get some first hand experience, calm myself down, and go through this procedure safely. :woman

akachan is offline Registered User

We're in exactly the same situation, byebyehk. I hope to hear some good responses!

I have heard that the rate of miscarraiage depends in part on the skill and experience of the doctor. Does anyone know miscarriage rates for specific doctors in HK? Any recommendations?

mumsy is offline Registered User

Hi. I had an amnio done back in July. The actual procedure wasn't too bad and not at all painful for me, just some slight discomfort when the needle went in and was drawn out.

The doctor did a scan of the baby first, and then we saw the needle going in on the ultrasound screen and away from the baby. After the needle was removed, there wasn't any bleeding on my belly but they stuck a plaster over the needle point anyway. Then the doctor scanned the baby again to show it moving and see the heartbeat.

I was told not to apply pressure to the abdomen and rest for the next 3 days, and also not to carry anything heavy or do anything strenuous for a week. I sat at the clinic for about 15 mins and then went home. I didn't get any cramping pains, although I've heard this is quite common.

As I was still quite nervous about the risk of miscarriage, I took things very easy for the next 3 weeks. I was probably a bit too overcautious and wouldn't even sleep on my side where the needle went in!

We got the preliminary results for down syndrome the next day, but I didn't get the final report until 3 weeks later. I've heard some people can get the final results earlier around 1.5-2 weeks time but depends if the cultures are slow growing.

I'll be happy to answer any more questions you might have. Good luck to both of you.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I had a bad downs screening too - like 1 in 160 or something, I can`t remember now. It was a devastating thought.
    But I had no questions that I would never end the pregnancy. So, the 1-3% chance of a miscarriage from an amnio versus the less than 1% chance that I would have a downs baby really made my decision for me. It didn`t make sense for me the have the amnio.
    What I did was the get another screening (it was completely different -and better - from the first one but no one could tell me which was was more accurate), and then I went to a good doctor for the 20 week fetal anamoly scan.
    I gave birth to a beyond perfect little boy just over 8 months ago.
    You basically have to ask yourself WHY you want to have the amnio. If you plan to keep the pregnancy regardless, then is there a lot of point to it?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I forgot to ask you - how was the nuchal fold test, where they look at the baby`s neck in on the ultrasound? What did they say about that?

cesh is offline Registered User

It's one of those decisions only you can make. Yes there are risks, and there is the cost.
    We decided we didn't want to bother with the amniocentesis as we had already decided we wanted this baby whatever the issues, and thus it was a redundant test for us.
    I think there are more factors at play than just the "skill" of the doctors conducting this procedure. And currently the number of and period of use of these tests carried out in Hong Kong appears to be a bit small to have a decent sample with which to judge how risky certain doctors are.
    Again, it's a very personal choice.

Hi Shenzhennifer,

I did the nuchal fold test, number looked good ( 1/1700 ), the only thing that failed was the blood test ( Papp-A and HCG ).

My first thought was that I would never abort the baby no matter what, so I said no amnio. But then I went through some research on the life of Down Syndrome children, which made me realize it's not an acceptable life for my baby. That's the only reason I'm re-considering it now.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, Mumsy. It helps a lot to calm me down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast