Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Too much carrot for baby?

lisa88 is offline Registered User

Too much carrot for baby?

My 6.5 month old baby is happily eating solids, mostly an array of pureed root veggies. The past week or so, we noticed that her finger tips and toe tips have become a bit yellow. I don't think its jaundice and she seems fine in all respects. The only possibility I can think of is she is having regular amounts of carrot, around 3 tsp/day along with other veggies. Any idea if my guess is correct?

lesliefu is offline Registered User

my gut instinct tells me that it is not a lot that you are giving you baby since I gave my baby a little more than that at the same age and nothing happened...but to be safe, I'd just eliminate carrot from your baby's diet to see if there is any difference, if there isn't I'd call your paediatrician to see what's going on...

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

lisa88

Yep your right its the caratone in the carrots that can cause the skin discolouration. Cut out the carrots for a few days and see how it goes. Try things like sweet potato, parsnip, courgette instead of carrot.

lisa88 is offline Registered User

it isn't just carrot, she's been having lots of pumpkin too. Between the 2 its probably a good 6-8 tsp per day. So I'm dropping these 2 veggies to see if the discolouration goes away. If it doesn't then will check with paed. She's just started on broccoli and lentils, will try to get a more balanced range of 'colourful' veggies.

mscheerful is offline Registered User

my son is now 2.5. he loves carrot and pumpkin so he is 'yellow' most of the time :) i am, and few other friends of mine are like this too when we have a bit more carrot.

Sazzy is offline Registered User

Watch out cos sweet potato also has caratone in it