Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Swine flu - increased outbreak?

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Swine flu - increased outbreak?

Hi

I have just returned to HK after a couple of weeks away and have been told by friends here that the swine flu cases have increased in the last 2 weeks. I am pregnant and have a toddler who attends one of the well known playgroups in Sheung Wan. Previously, that playgroup was taking the temperatures of the children and parents/helpers as they entered the room and requiring everyone to use alcohol gel on their hands which I considered satisfactory practice.

Interested in hearing what other parents are doing and if the cases of swine flu have indeed increased in HK in the last few weeks. Should I now be considering not taking my son to these classes if the risk to him and me has now increased dramatically?

Thanks
    SB2

Neha is offline Banned

Yes the total no of cases has increased to over 23000 in HK and as the flu season starts it will get worse, But how long will u keep your child away from his playgroups as the flu season lasts well till March april 2010? If the playgroup is taking temperatures and reminding parents and kids to wash their hands regularly i think it should be ok to continue. If u have a helper u can ask her to take him.

We have nearly 3 year of kid and we are continuing his activities like school, Socatots, My Gym, he goes to the playground and also some times to Playtown which is so crowded on the weekends. Yes we are also cautious but cant keep the kid at home for 6 months.

If there is an outbreak in the playgroup u attend I am sure the authorities will inform u and then u can decide to discontinue for a while

Best of luck

Thanks Neha. I was one of the ones who thought the school closures months ago was overkill but have become a bit more nervous of late. I agree that it becomes hard to draw the line on when to return to classes etc since the swine flu may never leave HK.

Good to hear what others are doing.

SB2

Neha is offline Banned

That is so true Swine flu may never leave HK. In your situation it is completely understandable being cautious. Just avoid extremely crowded places( which can be most of HK) and just in case u get regular cold/cough avoid going playgroups and take rest and drink lots of liquids

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

the question is not how many cases are there, but how sick do you get with it? 23000 cases, how many are actually serious, how many that are serious are in healthy people vs, at risk people,

That is true babymommy2. The fact that my son could DIE of it is what concerns me (or, if I get it, that I might lose the baby) but what is not clear is whether it is only people with underlying conditions (asthma etc) that die of the swine flu if they get it. In my home country, almost all of the deaths have been from underlying health problems.

SB2