Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Dr Philip Ho- Any feedback??

geomum is offline Registered User

Dr Philip Ho- Any feedback??

I have been seeing Dr Philip Ho for my second pregnancy. Today he came to office half hour late (I understand it was raining) but at the same time about 10 of his patients were right on time. His nurse rushed me into the examination room, it had a small monitor compared to the proper ultrasound machine. So I asked her if the doc was going to do an ultrasound and she said not today. I asked why he has done it for the past 4 appointments and I want to see my baby, excited to know if we are having a boy or girl. She didn't reply.
    I asked Dr Ho when he came that why couldnt we do the ultrasound today, he was quite rude in replying "Did they do ultrasounds at QM with your previous baby, guess not?" I said yes they did do it regularly due to my medical condition. He was quite then. I asked him if we were having a boy or girl, he said "Its too early to tell" I said I am 17+ weeks so I thought we could know. He then investigated further and said "There is something between the legs so maybe its a boy but cant be too sure". This was the entire conversation we had during my appointment and I found his attitude very weird, maybe he was in a hurry to see other patients but still I did pay for his time (He took less than 5 mins to see me). Did anyone have similar experience with him?

W2BMOM is offline Registered User

Dear Geomum

Have sent you a PM.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

That is bad. I wonder how they think that they are worth the money we pay for them when they rush the patients through!

You might consider having your 20 week scan with Dr Lam at HK Diagnostics. I am seeing Dr Grace Cheung but had my 12 and 20 week scans with Dr Lam and he is lovely and gives a detailed commentary while scanning. If I wasn't already seeing Grace, I might consider Dr Lam as my usual Obs as he is so nice and his ultrasound equipment is top notch.

SB2

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I had a bad experience with him too, I'd never recommend him. But I know people who really like him too. I personally think he's all about the $$ and doesn't really care.

I gave birth at QMH and as soon as I told him I was thinking of that, he made it quite clear that he didn't want me to waste any more of his time. Before that, he was really nice - but as soon as I told him I was thinking of delivering at the public hospital, he was really rude and abrupt with me.

I ended up just going through the public hospital, but I went to Dr Lam for additional ultrasounds. Dr Lam told me my baby was a girl at the 13 week ultrasound. I didn't think you could even tell that early!! I asked him how sure he was, and he said "I'm very tempted to say 100% sure!" - and sure enough!

I really liked Dr Lam though - especially how he gives a DVD with each ultrasound - and you can hear the speaking too. He only really did the ultrasounds for me though, not all the other stuff that goes along with pregnancy. The main downside to him though was that the waiting room was always very crowded and he generally ran late too - but who doesn't??

For my 2nd pregnancy, I started out seeing Dr Ghosh and quite liked him - but unfortunately we lost the baby. One thing that impressed me with him though was that every time I needed to call and ask something, or if they called me or anything, I always talked to HIM, not one of the nurses. Of course I had to wait for 5 min because I'm sure he was always in an appointment, but he called me back so quickly each time!! I would go back to him again next time, I think...

I would love to change doctors before its too late but if someone can answer a simple question for me. I have a confirmed booking at Matilda, so if I change doctors will this one be cancelled? That would mean I will be in the waiting list for sure with a new booking.

kmalia is offline Registered User

To answer your last question - If you do switch, even now, and end up with any of the well-known ObGyns (Lucy Lord, Sally Ferguson, Dr. Gosh) you are pretty certain to get a room at Matilda - but do confirm with your new doctor before 'releasing' Dr. Ho.

But, before you consider that, I would like to add my two cents about Dr. Ho. He delivered my beautiful baby boy 10 months ago, and I was extremely pleased with him, particularly when it came down to the delivery. He is not the kindest, sweetest of doctors. But i started off seeing one of the nicest doctors (Dr. Dawkins, who has since left Hong Kong) and ended up switching to Dr. Ho because I had some complications and I did not like the way Dr. Dawkins handled them, I wanted a doctor who would get me pregnant, keep me pregnant, and make sure nothing went wrong in the delivery - and that is exactly what Dr. Ho does. He definitely has his 'grumpy' days, but from what i've heard, all private doctors in HK do! I found his nurse, Kelly, to be invaluable and very kind when my hormones were raging and I just didn't want to deal with a grumpy ObGyn.

I did have one complication at the delivery (baby had the cord wrapped around his neck twice) and Dr. Ho acted quickly and professionally with no adverse reaction to me or the baby.

When it comes down to it, however, you should really feel comfortable with the ObGyn you choose, and if you don't feel comfortable with him I would make the switch.

please feel free to PM me if you want any additional details.

kmalia thats what is my biggest concern, what if Dr Ho is in a 'grumpy' mood the day my little bundle decides its time to arrive? What if he has 3 other deliveries lined up the same day? Will he tell me lets induce you and get this baby out one way or the other? And if I want a natural birth will he tell me they induced you at QM didn't they, so why not this time? I had a difficult/ unpleasant experience with the birth of my first daughter and I want my second to be delivered safely and I want it to be happy experience for us. Will weigh my options and decide, not in a hurry :)

cesh is offline Registered User

I've been seeing Dr Ho throughout my pregnancy and haven't had any problems with him.
    Yes he's been late to morning appointments before, but compared to various reports of other Obstetricians (especially Dr Ghosh for some reason) it's not too bad. Both times he was late I just asked him if it was a busy morning and both times he was happy to tell me what he'd been up to that morning (one was a delivery and the other attending a patient who'd had a rough delivery the previous night).
    I've also never found him rude, and he is quite patient with my questions.
    My pregnancy has been complicated by a congenital vascular condition and he's had no problem liaising with my vascular surgeon overseas about my pregnancy and treatment.
    Sure some other doctors scan more often, but if it's not necessary why bother. We have so many more scans here than in many other first-world private systems. Dr Ho actually sends you to Dr Lam for your 3D scan if and when it's needed.
    If you don't like him then that's fine, I agree that you need to find a Dr with whom you have a good relationship.
    On the inducement issue - you need to discuss it with your Doctor to know what they'll do. We asked him outright a few weeks ago (I'm nearly 38 weeks now) what his position was and he said "unless you absolutely can't stand being more than one week over due and want to induce or unless there is some risk to the baby, I won't do it" He suggested that after 41 weeks I would just be monitored even more closely.

So, up to you. Really depends on what is most important to you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast