Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cooking for baby or jar food?

gladyswly is offline Registered User

cooking for baby or jar food?

Hello mums,

Do anyone of you give your baby jar food everyday? Or give them jar food more than you cook food for them?

My baby is 10.5 months old, I tried to cook different kinds of food for her but she just wouldn't eat. I even bought the Annabel cookbook and tried to cook those fancy meals (yet she said it's easy and quick) but she still wouldn't eat. Everytime it leaves me frustration and disappointment because I spent quite some time and money to prepare her the food but she wouldn't take a sip. I cried for this many times. But I found out she likes jar food. She eats the whole jar everytime. I don't know what I should do now. Should I keep giving her jar food until she is one? Should I keep trying to make her food? What kinds of food do you cook for your baby? Is it just because of my cooking? But my husband says it tastes good... I hope it's not out of obligation he says so...

indaiDarin is offline Registered User

hi,
    I sent you PM

carang is offline Registered User

i would keep trying to give her "real" food. afterall, she's going to have to eat it eventually. it can be very frustrating, i know, but bear with it. shewill eat eventually.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Jar food contains vitamins that you don't find in home meals, and eventually you know exactly what you put in home meals... so, both are good ! It's good also if she likes jar food, as it makes it easier when you go out or travel, not to have to prepare home meals for a whole trip !
    There is nothing wrong with giving jar food, but as Carang says, you can keep trying giving her your home food. Kids are going through phases concerning the food, what she likes today is not what she will eat in a few months, and she will enjoy later what she refuses today. Don't stress too much about it, I've thrown away a lot of food too !

gladyswly is offline Registered User

So the next question is what should I do if she refuses to eat the food? Should I give him milk instead? Or give her other food? That is what frustrates me too because if I cook and my baby doesn't eat, should I just let her starve until the next meal time or give her milk? But if I give her milk then she would rely on milk and gets lazy to chew and eat. But I don't want her to starve either, and yet she wouldn't eat! What should I do?

Kat76 is offline Registered User

First of all don't stress. We've all been there! My baby eats a mixture of home made and jars. It can be very convienient for travel that the do like jar foods. It's not a bad thing.
    What I found useful was to look at the list of ingredients on the jars and try to cook home made stuff similar to this. The pasta recipes work pretty well. I've also got the Annabel book but I simply don't use it any more. My baby often goes off food that I know she likes. Just keep trying different things. Try to make small batches. When you find something that she likes then freeze some. I make fresh chicken stock and cook pasta in it, this is really tasty!

babyumma is offline Registered User

My 9-month old used to prefer jar food over my Gina Ford/Annabel Karmel home-cooked food which left me *really* frustrated as well.. so I started mixing jar food with my own and gradually 'weaned' her off jar food. It took less than a week actually and she eats my food quite well now.

You can also try mixing a little bit of grated apple/pear on top of your food and that might work too. Jar food is ok (great for travelling like Frenchy said) but they do tend to mix quite a lot of 'sweets' like fruits which is not ideal as the baby may develop a sweet tooth.. not to mention a lot of water which means they need to eat a lot to fill themselves up.

Good luck!

carang is offline Registered User

i was going to suggest mixing them, too... LOL! just like we do when we change the dog's food!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast