Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Constipated Baby!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Constipated Baby!

My 6.5 month old son has been constipated these past few days. He hadn't pooped since he had one big poop last Saturday and today when he was trying to poop, he started crying. I felt so bad for him because he cried with big tears rolling down his face as he pooped just a little bit. His poop was quite hard. I suspect that he isn't drinking enough water (only 1-2 oz a day). He eats two solid meals a day (one of rice cereal mixed with EBM and one of congee with vegetables) and after both solid meals, I breastfeed him a little bit. In addition, he breastfeeds 3 other times during the day and has one bottle of formula before bed. Any ideas on how I can encourage him to drink more water or how I can make him less constipated?

My pediatrician's nurse suggested giving him a bit of prune juice. She said that I can get children's prune juice - anyone know where I can get that? I've only seen the adult version in Park n Shop and Wellcome. Thanks!!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Here are few things that I've tried and found helped:

I always add an extra 10ml of water when I make up formula.
    You could try dried apricots in the rice cereal, just soak overnight and then cook in some water till soft, then puree and mix into the cereal.
    Also baby porridge has move soluble fibre than rice cereal which also helps constipation.
    When feeding him solids offer water in a sippy cup during the feed.

curiousmummy is offline Registered User

Spinach works wonders for mine

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Thanks for your suggestions!

Karmah1 - do you think using fresh apricots would be the same as using dried? When you say baby porridge, do you mean oatmeal? If not, what kind of porridge are you referring to. I bought a sippy cup for my son, but he doesn't really know how to use it and I'm afraid if I keep giving water to him in a sippy cup, he won't drink any at all! Maybe I should offer it both in a bottle and a sippy cup so at least he can learn how to use a sippy cup. Thanks!!