Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Lactation Consultant suggestions

MisB is offline Registered User

Lactation Consultant suggestions

My baby is 3.5 months and I am worried my milk supply is decreasing. I would like to continue and really am in hopes I am worrying too much. But just to be on the safe side I want to see a lactation consultant. Who do you suggest and why? Thank you so much in advance!! ;)

bumbeeno is offline Registered User

Hi MisB,

The Matilda runs a baby and breastfeeding clinic every week if the location is convenient for you. It's one on one, by appointment and run by a lactation consultant. I visited it once about two months ago and the LC on duty was very helpful and reassuring. You can find details on the hospital website. I think the BF clinic costs $350 for an hour's consultation. I thought it was very good :)

btw my baby is just over three months old too :) what makes u feel ur supply is decreasing? In case it's of any relevance, my baby is very efficient at breastfeeding at this stage and can easily finish a feed in 15 mins. I think that's the case generally for babies of this age (so I've read).

Last edited by bumbeeno; 10-15-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added detail

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Another option is to speak to a LLL Leader. LLL Leaders are mothers who have breastfeed their own babies for at least one year and been training in giving support to other mothers who are breastfeeding. You can find out the numbers of the local LLL Leaders on the LLL-HK website at LLL-HK Home Page

The only way to tell if you baby is getting enough milk is to look at how the baby is growing. The things we are looking for are:

At least six wet nappies every 24 hours.

Baby's weight is increasing - we are looking for an average of 170 grams or 6 ozs per week.

Baby nurses often - usually between 7 and 10 times a day by three months. (Please note that we deliberately say 7 to 10 times in 24 hours and not every 3 to 4 hours as babies aren't always regular - sometimes they will have a longer gap {hopefully at night} and sometimes they want lots of feeds in a short time.) I'm attaching an article from Close to the Heart, LLL Asia's newsletter for mothers. It explains about nomal baby feeding patterns.

Baby looks healthy - has good colour and skin is firm.

There is a one page handout called How to know your Health Full-term Breastfed Baby is Getting Enough Milk at http://www.lllhk.org/566-27HK-Chinese.pdf
    (Scroll to the second page for English)

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 10-15-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org