Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Postpartum Sex Advice

Bashful is offline Registered User

Postpartum Sex Advice

Seeking some advice here from fellow moms. I had an uncomplicated vaginal birth 3 months ago, and the doctor had given me the go-ahead to resume sex at week 6 (tear at perineum had healed). At our first try post delivery, it was painful, so we bought some lubricant, and at our second try, it was still painful. We were proceeding very slowly and gently (and tried different positions), so the pain wasn't bad (felt more like a tearing pain?), but uncomfortable enough (or perhaps just fear in me) to continue. It also stings a little when I passed urine after.

Any idea if this is normal, and when things will get back to normal again? Thank you.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

It's normal. I still have scarring internally and externally from tearing and even now 2 years post-partum I sometimes experience discomfort. That area can become irritated or inflamed because I think because of the injury there it is more sensitive. If you're still only 3 months post-partum I'd say this is normal and if you visit the doctor they probably can't do much for you apart from give you maybe some topical pain cream or tell you to take pain medicine--which may or may not help considering the situation. Sorry, sex after baby is never the same, I'm afraid (although, I've heard that for some people its better). More time to heal may help things too. Hope it gets better.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Oh, also, check and make sure the lubricant you are using is non-irritating--I find that even common brands like KY jelly which are supposed to be hypoallergenic actually irritate my skin and I prefer coconut oil which is more natural (of course, you can't use it with latex, though). That's just a hint--anything you can do to keep the area not irritated, promote circulation and promote healing and moisturisation is a good thing. Just on the practical side. Oh, and if you're using latex, check to make sure that's not causing irritation as well Best of luck!

mumsy is offline Registered User

I had an episotomy and waited a bit longer than 3 months before trying sex, and yes there was slight discomfort for the first couple of times so that's quite normal.

Also if you are breastfeeding then this can make you more dry down there, so extra lubricant can help.

During the 6 weeks postpartum, I also had some stinging when passing urine and this could be a sign of UTI. This might be the reason for your pain/discomfort during sex. I was able to get rid of it by drinking lots of cranberry juice over a few days, but if it persists do consult your doctor about it.