Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

23 month old and 4 month old sleeping in same room - safety issues?

sherwes is offline Registered User

23 month old and 4 month old sleeping in same room - safety issues?

Hi, I really need some advice regarding the sleeping arrangements of my two babies. My 23 month old is currently sleeping in a cot. He hasn't yet worked out how to get out of the cot (it's a large cot and he wears a sleeping bag which inhibits his climbing ability!).

I have purchased a toddler bed for him but he is not keen on it at all. I have suggested a few times over the last couple of months that he might want to sleep in it and he is really not interested currently. I don't want to push it if he's not ready as he has had a lot of change so far in his short life - moving countries, moving house 3 times, a new baby sister etc etc.

I also haven't pushed it because would like to put my 4 month old to sleep in the same room as my older baby. We have a 3rd bedroom but we wold like to keep that as a study. I am worried that if my older baby is in the toddler bed he could get up in the night and, inadvertantly, hurt my younger baby. For instance, by giving her toys that she could choke on or by getting into her cot and cuddling her too vigourously. He loves to touch and cuddle her but he is just not old enough to understand that he could really hurt her.

My younger baby is still in a cradle but she will grow out of it soon. Therefore, I think I need to buy another cot for her and have both of them in cots in the same room. I would appreciate any thoughts from other mums both as to the safety of having them in the same room and also any practical issues (i.e. different wake up times etc).

Thanks ladies.

gladyswly is offline Registered User

just a thought, why not put the younger one in the same room with you first? it sounds safer.

carang is offline Registered User

my two are exactly 2 years apart... they started sharing a room when the youngest was about 6 months old. we never had a problem. but, my son had been in a proper bed since he was 1 year old... we never had a problem. he had his bed and his sister had hers. it was never an issue and one i'd never even considered.