Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can babies use blankets?

miriam228 is offline Registered User

Can babies use blankets?

Hi,

My baby is now 4 months old, and the weather in HK is becoming cooler. Winter in Sai Kung is especially colder than the city, so I am considering in buying a blanket.

My questions, can babies use blankets? Or must it be the sleeping bags? Why are most of the sleeping bags sleeveless? I found a sleeping bag with long sleeves. Is that not good?

Hope you can help me!

Thanks!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

I think 4 months may be a little young for a blanket for fear that it would cover her face and she could suffocate. I was wondering myself the other day why most sleeping bags are sleeveless and wondering myself, what my baby (7.5 months) should wear to bed in the winter. I have found that there are some brands (i.e. Hallmark, which can be found in Sogo and Ocean Terminal, and Enfant, which can be found in Wing On) have really thick one piece outfits that babies could wear to bed. I was thinking of putting my baby in one of those outfits and then a sleeping bag if it gets really cold.

miriam228 is offline Registered User

Thanks futurehkmom. I saw those thick one piece outfits in the baby shops too (costing about $100). Those + sleeping bags.... would it be too bulky?? How about this, "sleeping bag/jacket:
    BIBIDADA ???????

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I think you would want to stay away from hoods. If your baby turns over, then they would risk suffocating themselves.
    My son was born in January when it was freeeeezing. I dressed him in a long sleeved onesie, a warm sleeper, and then swaddled him in one (or sometimes 2) fleece blankets, but careful not to cover his face.
    He now sleeps in a jumper and light sleeping bag, and I too wonder what he should be wearing in the cold season. I think the sleeping bags are sleeveless so the baby has movement that doesn`t get them all tangeled up.
    I`m curious whether most mothers swear by the Grobag, which is pretty expensive, or a generic version is ok.
    Anyway, since I have started using a sleeping bag with my baby, it`s been easier, as before I was always wondering if he was too hot or too cold and what to dress him in. Sleeping bags just seem to make it a no brainer.If the room gets really really cold though, I would throw a blanket on top. but my son is old enough that he can just toss is aside if he doesn`t want it.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Shenzhennifer - does your son have problem sleeping using the sleeping bag (hands free) after being used to swaddling (hands wrapped)?

I am currently swaddling my 3-month old and when cold, throw a blanket over the swaddle ... not so sure about the blanket but so far as she is swaddled and can't really move much, the blanket has been able to stay put without moving up to cover her face ... not sure if this is dangerous after all.

LeahH is offline Registered User

I use go go bags from merinokids.com - they are made from merino wool and cotton, are amazingly comfortable and have lasted two kids and counting.

Merino is a wonderful material for kids clothing and bedding, it's a natural regulator of temperature so keeps them warm in the winter and cools the body in the summer.

I do sometimes use a couple of .05 tog gro-bags during summer.

geomum is offline Registered User

Many might disagree with me but I dont think a light but warm blanket if tucked tightly under the arms and on the sides of the crib will suffocate a baby.
    My daughter cried even as a 1 month old if we put her in a Grobag, so stopped doing it after a few tries. She was alright with blankets for a while but then she started kicking them off with vengence when she was able to move her legs. So we made her wear a warm onsie and made the room warm through out the night. Even now at 20 months she will not take a blanket, even in the middle of the night if I put a blanket on her she kicks it off in less than 5 mins :)

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

Blankets are hard to keep on once the child can toss and turn in bed. Since the sleeping bags are sleeveless, I dress my child (21mths) in a short sleeve thermal, long sleeve PJs and 2.5tog sleeping bag during the coldest days of winter and that seems to be OK for him. He sometimes wakes up in the sleeping bag because it gets all twisted so I might look for another brand. The Merino one that LeahH mentioned sounds good so might look into that. Thanks LeahH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast