Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Maclaren USA recall on umbrella strollers

augustbump is offline Registered User

hi kyojee

thanks for letting us know.. just one question please.. do we need to bring proof of purchase ie receipt? i threw out my receipts months back.. however.. there is a sticker on my stroller which says i bought from mothercare in HK which supposedly be as good as a receipt. Or do we need to bring the stroller in as proof?

many thanks!

kyojee is offline Registered User

Hi Augustbump,

I asked if I needed any proof of purchase too, or if i needed to bring my stroller, the replied was no. was told to simply make a trip to their office, and provide some details of the stroller. Guess it's a voluntary recall and they can't expect us to keep our receipts? I spoke to a lady by last name Choi, but should you wish to double confirm, I reckon giving them a call could give a peace of mind. Last thing I wish for is for you to pop down and them refuting what they told me! =)

Cheers~~~

rani is offline Administrator

From Today's SCMP

A million Maclaren strollers have been voluntarily recalled in the United States because toddlers had fingertips cut off by hinges - but no recall has been issued in Hong Kong.

The recall came after the company received 15 reports in the US of children placing their fingers in the hinges of the strollers, and 12 lost part of their fingers.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission and Maclaren (US) on Monday announced a voluntary recall of all single and double umbrella-fold strollers sold in the country since 1999.

The Chinese-made strollers' hinge mechanism "poses a fingertip amputation and laceration hazard to the child when the consumer is unfolding/opening the stroller", the commission said. It advised parents to stop using them immediately.

Maclaren said its products met various safety standards and the recall was to "alert the operator when opening or closing the stroller of the possible risk of injury".

It said a voluntary recall did not mean a product had been taken off the market, but corrective action would be offered that could be carried out at home.

While Maclaren (US) has agreed to provide US consumers and retailers with a free repair kit to cover the stroller's hinge, Maclaren (HK) has not announced a voluntary recall in the city or in other places such as Britain. It said it would hold a press briefing today.

The models recalled in the US were the Volo, Triumph, Quest Sport, Quest Mod, Techno XT, TechnoXLR, Twin Triumph, Twin Techno and Easy Traveller, the Maclaren website said. All the models recalled are available in Hong Kong, selling for between HK$1,000 and HK$3,000 each.

A local spokeswoman for Mothercare, a British baby goods retailer with several stores in Hong Kong, said the reported incidents did not happen because the stroller itself was unsafe. Rather, it was because carers were unaware that the babies' fingers were in the hinge.

Yesterday afternoon, staff of a Mothercare branch in Kowloon Bay said they knew of the recall in the US. However, a saleswoman said sales of the product were continuing as normal as a local response by the dealer had yet to be decided. A similar response was obtained from a staff member at Bumps to Babes, another infant goods store.

A spokeswoman for the Customs and Excise Department, which regulates product safety, said the department was seeking information from the Hong Kong dealer about the case. She was unable to say whether local complaints had been received about the stroller.

chriswj is offline Registered User

Why would a baby's fingers be anywhere close to the stroller when it is being opened or closed?

Which part of the stroller is the problem?

juliechuang is offline Registered User

Do you know where the HK office is located?"

Thanks!

kyojee is offline Registered User

Hi Augustbump,

I just like to update you on something. I just had a call from Maclaren, they told me the repair kits arrived early and ask me to go collect it bringing my receipt OR stroller. So, please kindly ignore my earlier post on not having to bring anything! cheers...

Juliechuang,

the address can be found here on the website:

Maclaren | Global - Contact

augustbump is offline Registered User

thanks kyojee! i called them this morning..and all the lady said to me was that they will call me back.. obviously..i got no phone call from them today ...so will give them a tinkle tomorrow to see what is the situation.

hopefully we will get the repair kit too..

merrymum is offline Registered User

Maclaren RECALL Video by CPSC

All,

I found an article with a informative video by US' Consumer Product Safety Council on the Maclaren stroller recall, check it out:

Maclaren stroller recall: Should you still use your stroller? | csmonitor.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast