Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Fresh Milk Before 12 mths?

slamdunk is offline Registered User

Fresh Milk Before 12 mths?

My 10 m/o has reduced his formula intake significantly in the last couple of weeks from about 21oz a day to about 12oz. I think he doesn't like the taste of it anymore because he will happily drink water afterwards (he's taken it for 4 mths and I think it does taste a little sweet). We're supplementing by using leftover milk for cereal, giving other dairy (yogurt/cheese) etc.

He generally eats very well and pretty much eating unseasoned blended/mashed versions of our food but i've noticed he's been getting thinner. I know guidelines recommend introducing/switching fresh milk at 12 mths but am thinking of introducing this earlier but can't find anything on this (quantities etc). How rigid is this 12 mths recommendation?

thanks

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I think it`s because there aren`t as many nutrients in fresh milk and in the formula and they need this before 12 months. Maybe you can do half and half? Or find a brand of formula that is not as sweet (does that exist?). If you find him thin, you can also give him the step 1 formula and mix that with milk to give him more fat intake.
    A labour intensive suggestion would be to just give him milk but then find out exactly what vitamins/nurtients he needs at that age and make sure he`s getting them through other means, and with your disguising the formula in other foods, etc. Lot of work though - It will be easier when he turns one, eh?

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

My 11 month old is cutting down too. I offer 3 bottles with total of 21?z but he doesn't drink all of it. I use the left overs to mix in with cereal or his meals too. I have found the more solids he eats during the day the less milk he has.

Are you giving him his formula in a bottle or sippy cup? My son will drink more if its in a bottle than in a sippy cup.

Your son is probably slimming down as he comes more active and growing taller, my son is doing the same.

If he is eating well and being active I wouldn't be too worried. Not all babies drink the recommended doses of formula. If you want to try cows milk now, I would recommend goats milk instead as its closer to human milk and more easily digested.

slamdunk is offline Registered User

I might try a bit of half and half and also consider goats milk. Not likely to look for another formula at this stage as i intend to stop the formula anyway. He drinks his milk from a bottle and water from a straw cup and very stubbornly pushes the bottle away when he's done.

Agree he is much more active and it's probably just me not wanting to see that baby chubbiness and those treble chins go!!

Thanks for the replies/suggestions.