Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cathay Pacific - Bulk seat or Bassinet seat

piper is offline Registered User

Cathay Pacific - Bulk seat or Bassinet seat

Cathay Pacific Bulk seat or Bassinet seat

I have a long haul flight booked on Cathay Pacific, right now we are booked in the Bulk seats (more leg room). I can get the seat with the bassinet option, what's that
    like? Cathay Pacific described the bassinet to me as a board. what does that mean?
    What are your experiences with LH flights - do bubs just end up sleeping in carrier on your chest anyway? and not the bassinet?

Any thought s and tips would be helpful.

Thanks, my bubs is 61/2months.

Cheers

reei is offline Registered User

when my baby was 5 months old, she can fit in the bassinet, but just nice and no room to move and they have this strap right over her forehead, so she refused to be in it.
    that's cx. but for long haul flight, i recommend that u still get the bulk head seat, just to make sure that no passenger in front of you will recline his seat.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

From my understanding, the bulkhead seats ARE the bassinet seats - but you can choose whether to get them to set the bassinet up or not. For 6.5 months, I would use the bassinet - although if your baby is starting to sit up, roll over, move around a lot in bed, he/she will need more careful supervision in the bassinet. When I took my daughter at 7 months, we used the bassinet, but she was continually trying to sit up and that, it wouldn't have been impossible for her to fall out if no one was watching her!! But once she was asleep, it was great. MUCH better than her sleeping on me!!

yonge is offline Registered User

Not sure which bulkhead seats you got on which aircraft, but the extra legroom is great, because the children generally prefer to have some time to play on the floor and you don't have to worry about disturbing anyone in front of you or having their seat recline on you or the children. Our children never slept in the bassinet, but it was nice to play in. It's basically like a deep tray to put the child in front of you at your seated eye level. In any case, you have to lift (and wake) the child from the bassinet if the turbulence light us on. However, the one thing to watch out for is whether your bulkhead seats are next to the kitchen. If that's the case, the lights in the kitchen will be on all night and equipment will be rattling, etc. I generally just nurse throughout the flight whenever baby (or I) want to get some sleep, but for those who have sleep-trained babies, this is usually one of those times that just completely screws up the schedule. Good luck!

jane01 is offline Registered User

I agree, the bulkhead seats ARE the bassinet seats. There is a sort of a tray that folds down and the flight attendant will bring you a bassinet that straps on to it. You can't use it during take off or landing and you need to take the baby out during turbulance.

My girls slept in the bassinet, not well, but if it was their sleep time anyway, they would usually fall asleep. I usually threw a muslin over it to block out a bit of light/distraction. Mine grew out of the bassinet quite early. Can't remember exactly how old, but they are tall girls.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Nicolejoy and Jane01 are correct. The bassinet seats are the bulk head seats, i.e. first row with leg room. The bassinet comes in the form of a small platform that can be put down and the stewardess can set up a moses-basket-like tiny bed for your bub to sleep in if you wish. If you don't want the bed to be set up, then it's just a regular bulk head seat. So I think definitely get the bassinet seats and you can decide if you want the bed set up. Free option!

Sazzy is offline Registered User

There is a board type thing which pulls down from the wall and then a small cot is strapped to it. I would get this anyway. You can either lay the baby in this if he/she fits and even if she/he doesnt fit, I used it to store nappies, milk, toys etc etc.

Note that if there is turpulence on the plane, they ask you to take baby out of the bassinet and sit them on you + seatbelt - i complete pain in the arse if you have spent hours trying to get them asleep and then you have to pick them up again.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

If you can, get the bulkhead seats with the bassinet option. At least the bassinet option is there in case you'll need it. If, say, the configuration is 3-4-3 or 2-4-2, request for the seats on the first row of the section on the right or the left sides of the plane and not the ones in the middle (where the bassinet option is usually available). I say that because some passengers are not very considerate and might pass in front of the middle front row just to get across to the washrooms or whatever, and in the process sometimes your toes and things get stepped on. With the bulkhead seats on the sides, you can be sure that no one will cross in front of you, step all over your feet or things.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast