Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solid food = Constipation ?!?

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Solid food = Constipation ?!?

My son is 6.5 months old and I have started him on solid food when he was 5.5 months old. At the very beginning (before he turned 6 months), I fed him mainly on organic rice porridge mixed with formula once a day and a small portion of apple puree and I didn't notice any problem with his poo-poo, which was still more or than like a thick porridge (sorry for my explicit description!)

Since he's turned 6 months, I mixed some mashed carrot / pea / acavado / banana / pear into his rice porridge, which I fed him every lunch. And I continue to give him fruit purees in the late afternoon. He is still fed 3 times formula a day. However, since last week his poo-poo became very hard and I can see he is having difficulty to pass them out. He passed a tiny bit each time and he made 2-3 times a day. He drinks awful lot of water every day (he likes water more than milk!) so it shouldn't be an issue of lack of water.

I try to think it is normal as he is now fed more on solid food so it is natural for him to have solid waste?!? But I can't stop worrying if he is having constipation problem? Can anyone let me know if your baby has gone through similar stage and it is normal or not? THANKS!

carang is offline Registered User

my mum suggested the BEST thing... when you mix up the food, add a very little bit of prune juice to it!

that should help the problem, but you are right. the more solid the food, the more solid the waste (usually).

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Prune juice! Never thought of it.. Thanks Cara, I will try.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

are you mixing a combination for veggies or just a couple at a time? try upping the amount of pear or perhaps introducing broccoli (my daughter really likes it and it helps with the poo-poo)

mcdill is offline Registered User

My friend told me that bananas gave her baby constipation problems so she had to stop giving it for a while.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I second the prunes. Gerber Organics makes prune puree. It works.
    Also whole grain cereals, like oats, mixed grain, brown rice gets the little bowels working to push it all out.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Where can I buy the Gerber Organics prunes?

sea princess is offline Registered User

Also look at the Iron levels he/she may be taking in collectively from both the formula and rice cereal. Even though at 6 months the need for Iron increases with children, he/she may be getting too much?
    This is often the cause of constipation (as is banana's). Keep with fruits and vegetales that have a high soluble fibre content (wet fibre, so more moist fruits and veg's).
    Hope you see some improvement.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast