Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Antenatal checkup in public hospital

Vanille is offline Registered User

Antenatal checkup in public hospital

Hi,

Can anyone share her experience going to public hospital for prenatal checkup?
    What is the normal routine check-up (ie: urine, weight, scan...)
    Will they offer the down syndrome and anomaly test scan? How much do we need to pay for those tests?
    How frequent are the visits ?

Any experience in Prince of Wales Shatin?

Thanks so much for your replies/sharing experience.

mscheerful is offline Registered User

almost 3 years ago i went to public for pernatal checkup. The normal routines are: Urin, weight, b/p check, heart beats and some questions from the doctor or nurse and then next appointment. Yes, they do scanning but not frequent and they do down syndrome and other tests like blood, sugar level and other neccessity if they think you need it. It is very thorough one and NO CHARGE except for special request scan and the initial payment of $60 or $100, can't remember. If the doctor thinks that you are all right with the pregnancy, they will refer you back to the nearest Mother and Child Clinic for the rest of the check-ups until closer to your due date. The frequency is every month until 7+ months, then alternate week and then, weekly one month before due date.

It is really OK to have it done in the public. They only set back is you have to wait - sometimes can be up to an hour or MORE. Make sure you bring some books/magazines to read or do something useful there while waiting. However, I had also check-up at private and the wait most of the time is almost an hour. One time, my OB-Gynea have to go to help deliever a baby at hospital, i waited for 1 1/2 hour.

carang is offline Registered User

the down syndrome test is about $1000 unless you are over 35. then, i believe, it's free.

bloominginHK is offline Registered User

My son, now 16 months, was born at Prince of Wales and I will give birth there again this March. I loved my experience there.

There were a few things I was concerned about... 1) only having two hours of visiting time... but it turned out to be a great thing as I felt very well rested by the time I returned home and felt that I was able to connect well with the baby 2) I was told baby would not be with me all day but this wasn't true. My son was with me the whole time except at night so that I could rest 3)communication.... I only had one minor communication issue

I ending up having to have a c-section and couldn't believe my total costs for everything were just 550HK dollars. 500 for me and 50 for the baby.

I guess you are a bit more pampered in private hospitals... with rooms and food, etc.. but as far as care, I thought POW was great. If you deliver naturally, you're not there for very long anyway.

The only complaint of the whole pregnancy for me was how they were constantly concerned about my weight gain and comments were regularly made about how big I was and how I need to watch what I ate/etc. This was from the Ma On Shan clinic nurses and I just had to keep reminding myself that I'm not the size of Chinese women. But it was a little depressing after awhile when I was trying to keep it minimal.

lisa88 is offline Registered User

I saw a private obstetrician throughout my pregnancy but delivered at POW Shatin. I registered with POW at about 3 months into my pregnancy. Had my major milestone check ups at POW which meant that I saved on expensive screening tests plus POW had my test results in their files.

The major drawback is the waiting time, for which you have to be prepared. Otherwise the care is good and thorough. I would say that they practise conservative medicine. Personally there were a couple of times when I would not have been too concerned about some things that cropped up but they ran extra tests etc to be on the safe side.

Had planned a natural birth but ended up having an emergency c-section due to complications when labour started. Medical care was excellent, although no-frills. Post delivery I was in a ward with almost 50 other mums. All the staff worked really hard and did their best, one nurse sat down with me for an hour to help me get started on breastfeeding. If you are not after a 5-star pampering, then you will be fine. ANyway with a c-section you stay for 4 nights and shorter if you deliver naturally.

We paid a princely sum of $450 for the c-section and hospital stay. In a private hospital the bill would have been >$100K!

I would go back there for my second!

Vanille is offline Registered User

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I actually delivered my 1st baby in POW 3 years ago, I was pretty much happy and will go back to deliver my 2nd BB. However as I have no experience going to public hospital for prenatal checkup, your experiences gives me a better idea.
    For the blood test, I will need to get the toxoplasmosis done regulary because I am not immune. Do you have any idea how much they charge?
    I will go and register there and see how it goes. Thanks a lot.

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User

I'm using the Antenatal clinic in Ma On Shan.

Toxoplasmosis wasn't something that they regularly screened for, but I would ask when you go in.

More likely than not, you'll be transferred to a Mother and Child clinic after you register with the hospital.

You get two free ultrasounds. One at 12-ish weeks and one at 20-ish. But you don't get any pictures.

All the maternity care is free, except for some things like the birth, if you are under 35 and want the downs test.

I was a bit baffled by what exactly I was supposed to be doing at some points, because the nurses kept assuming I knew what was going on. At the clinic I went to there was lots of going to one room, getting my weight checked, then going to another room to talk to a nurse, then going to another room to go to see the OB...

Good luck!

carang is offline Registered User

you CAN get the pictures, but you pay something like $60 for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast