Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Chung Hom Kok

Margaret09 is offline Registered User

Chung Hom Kok

Does anyone have information about moving to Chung Hom Kok. Is it family friendly? I have a 4 month old boy & am looking to move to an area that has other families with young babies as well as a social netowrk for mums

Many thanks
    Margaret

rani is offline Administrator

Chung Hom Kok, is close to Stanley and there are a lot of families in the area. There's a new indoor playroom in Gov't building in the market. Post a msg once you've moved and I'm sure you'll be able to connect with some Mums in the area.

sea princess is offline Registered User

Margaret09

Hi Margaret 09
    I think it's quite a family friendly area mixed with local cantonese, so a little less expaty than say Stanley or Repulse Bay.

We looked at several apartments there but decided on Stanley in the end as I wanted to be able to walk to something. Will you have a car or be relying on public transport to get around?

It's hilly, but footpaths are wide enough to push a stroller around (unlike parts of reoulse Bay where the footpath just runs out onto a road!). It also has a local Welcome supermarket for last minute dashes to the supermarket!

It has one of the best playgrounds in HK. It's at the Chun Hom Kok Beach and is worth a look if you haven't already been?

I have a friend on Headland Rd, she isn't a big fan of that particular area as it is really poorly serviced with public transport. But Chung Hom Kok Rd and Cape Rd are well serviced by buses.

Being able to get to Stanley quickly is a real plus as there is lots of activities available for mums and little ones. As Rani mentioned, there is the stanley indoor play room which is located near the library by the market. It opens on the hour for 45 minutes daily and is good for all ages. There is the St Stephens playgroup (in the school hall) also to look into and several baby and mum music classes. It's also just nice to wander through the market or get a coffee nearby and feel normal rather than couped up in an apartment I find.

Good luck with your decision.

Margaret09 is offline Registered User

Thank you both for your replies. More food for though!!

annahongkong is offline Registered User

Hi Margaret,

I live in Chung Hom Kok and find it very convenient - it's only 15 mins walk down the hill to Stanley (or a quick hop on the bus), plus close to Chung Hom Kok beach & playground which is very quiet as the tourists don't know where it is! Only down side is that there's a number of steps to reach the beach, so it's not very stroller friendly (we use a baby carrier when we go there instead).

Most of the Stanley buses go through CHK, so I use the buses all the time to easily get into Central/Causeway Bay.

Send me a message if you have any more questions, or would like to meet up - I have a 9 month old and am not working.

Anna