Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oral Thrush

curiousmummy is offline Registered User

Oral Thrush

Hi,
    My 1 year old baby is suffering from oral thrush since last monday. We were on Nystatin for 1 week, did not work. And the thrush probably affected her digestive system. She only had 2 milk feeds yesterday, no solids.

Doctor just put her on liquid diflucan yesterday. I am worried sick. The little one is refusing all food, all liquids.

Does anyone experienced a similar situation? And what are some solutions and remedies that you have taken that worked?

Please share with me as I am desperately worried.

Thank you so much

geomum is offline Registered User

My daughter had recurrent episodes of oral and nappy thrush for many months when she was a baby as unfortunately its very hard to get rid of. I was exclusively bfeeding her but I did not have thrush as most will tell you if baby has it then you possibly you do too.
    Her doc prescribed the same- Nystatin but it didnt work at all, emptied so many bottles. At last what did work was Probiotics, a month and it never came back. For her nappy area I applied Fluconazole powder (Trade name Diflucan) which worked like magic. So if you are giving it to her as liquid it should work.
    I know how worried you must be, I was too for many months. Get yourself checked too incase you have thrush too on your nipples and be very consistent with the treatment, even after the thrush goes away continue giving medicine for a week or two.

BTW, she's no longer breastfeeding, and the oral thrush/yeast infection is not from BF.

Yes like I said its not necessary that it would be from you, even if you WERE bfeeding her :)

Hi Geomum, thank you for the advice, I will go get from probiotics for her today.
    Did you sprinkle the Fluconazole powder on her nappy area?
    Thank you in advance

Hi Geomum, did you only give her probiotics once a day?

LeahH is offline Registered User

Daktarin oral gel worked a treat for us, in combination with infant probiotics, cleared it completely in 2 days.

The thrush was just oral for my son so applying the gel around his mouth (and on me after every breast feed) together with the probiotic in a bottle of BM three times a day until it cleared and once day for about a week afterward. Don't forget to store the probiotic in the fridge.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get the Daktarin oral gel, I seem to remember someone else looking for it on this forum and not finding it. We got ours from Dr Thondup at the Veritas Medical Centre if you need help finding it.

As he's prone to thrush now, I automatically give him probiotics if he's taking any antibiotics for any other illness.

The prescribed dose for my daughter on the bottle was 1 tsp once a day and I mixed the powder in her food. I think it depends on which brand of Probiotic you got.
    As for fluconazole powder I applied it on her nappy area after each nappy change.
    I think Daktarin is easy to get, I got it at pharmacy in Kennedy Town, however it was temporary relief for my little one, the thrush came back soon after I stopped application.
    And yes my daughter was also given antibiotics right after she was born. Agree with LeahH about giving probiotics along with antibiotics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast