Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

5-month old baby does not want to drink milk

OX Jess is offline Registered User

It seems that many moms are encountering this problem. When my son showed signs of refusing milk when he was 4 months old, I was very worried until I heard so many similar experience from other moms. My son is going on 8 months old next week and he has been fed on solids once a day (lunch) for 2 months. He loved his solids until the recent 2-3 days. This morning, he was only willing to take in 3 spoonful of rice porridge then turned his head away and sealed his lips tight. No way could I feed him more. Milk? I can only make him take a full bottle (7 onze) twice a day, i.e. the first bottle in the morning and the last one while he is sleeping. He refuses to take in even a sip of milk during the day. He has no teeth yet but he shows signs of teething since he's 4 months old, i.e. drooling a lot, biting everything grabbed on his hand, sucking his fingers.

Apart from milk and lunch, he loves fruits. Yesteday I fed him some mashed banana+apple, he cried after finishing the bowl. He wanted more!! So, maybe he has developped 'sweet tooth' or maybe he is teething? Only he knows what it is. Apart from all the fuss about feeding, he is still a happy, active, babbling baby. Sleeps very well. He weighed 8.5kg at 6 months, but has put on only 1 kgs over the last two months. Should I be worried or not?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by OX Jess View Post
    He weighed 8.5kg at 6 months, but has put on only 1 kgs over the last two months. Should I be worried or not?
    Standard growth charts are available at WHO | Weight-for-age

If you look at the boys chart you will see that on average babies tend to put on between 600 grams and 800 grams between 6 months and 8 months. So I think your baby's gain is very good indeed. In fact he is already about the 85 percentile - so no worries.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Thanks, Sarah. Very useful info for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12