Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving in Cot and Waking More Often

StareBear is offline Registered User

Moving in Cot and Waking More Often

Hi All,
    My 12 week old has this week moved into a cot. Previously she had been in a moses basket but we spent the last 5 weeks in Australia and on our return I thought it would be a good time to transition her.
    However since our return she has gone from sleeping 7 - 6ish with a 10.30pm dreamfeed to waking at least twice a night. She doesn't seem particularly hungry when she wakes and doesn't feed as well in the morning now. Also whereas in Sydney she was doing 2 x 2 hour sleeps during the day now she will not resettle after the first 40-50 mins. I usually get her to do another hour in her pram though which seems to comfort her (perhaps because it is familiar from Sydney??)
    When she is in the cot she moves around a lot, sometimes her head is where her feet started so I am worried that she is not getting quality sleep and also that this is causing her to wake. I am now starting to think that the transition was too much in a week where she is also adapting to being in a new environment and a different timezone.
    Should I put her back in the basket or will she get used to the cot? It has been 6 nights now and I am worried if I put her back in the basket, we will have to go through this all again in another few weeks but maybe she will be more used to the surroundings then? Is there a way I can stop her moving in the cot so much? Thanks for your advice

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

When I moved my son into a cot I rolled up 2 of his baby blankets into long logs and placed them down the side of him, just so he felt more secure. She will get used to the cot and it will take a few nights. I wouldn't go back to the basket now you have started.

And the more active they get the more they move around, my son is always in different positions when I check on him!

cesh is offline Registered User

It also took our daughter a good 2 weeks to settle back in at home after being overseas for a month. It's such a big chunk of their lives, and now they're at an age where they are so much more aware of their environment. I agree that bolsters or rolled blankets can help make them feel more snug. It might also be worth sticking one of your child's swaddles or sleeping bags, even their PJs in your bed for a night and then letting them use it the next night so they can smell you and feel a bit more comfort. Sounds a bit granola, but can help.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

May not be moses basket vs cot ... sounds like she is jet lagged?

Went through similar and finally got her back to her routine after 2 weeks ...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I transitioned my son at 6 months into the cot. During the day he was fine, but at night at first he wasn`t. I ended up putting him back into his baby hammock for a few more nights of transition.
    But sounds like she should be getting used to it by now, after a week. Hope it`s going better now.

StareBear is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone. Not much improvement yet. We are still having at least two feeds between midnight and 7 and now seem to be dealing with some breast refusal issues. She woke at 5 the other morning but screamed when offered the boob. Anyway I managed to resettle her in the cot for the first time this afternoon so perhaps we are making progress (slowly)...Hopefully another week will sort her out. I think it is harder to cope with the sleep deprivation when you thought you had seen the back of it!