Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to negotiate with doctors?

matemate is offline Registered User

How to negotiate with doctors?

How do you negotiate with doctors?

When visiting them, it seems their fee structure for visits, delivery, etc. is all set and published in brochures. How much can be negotiated? And did anyone do ask for a formal quotation round?

The issue we have practically speaking is that we have three good doctors and none of them is perfect (too expensive, to much preference for c-s, etc.). So it might really boil down to cost to decide and i am a bit vary of what i consider open price discrimination based on what rooms and hospital i chose.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

we cant negotiate with doctors. best thing is to shop around for other doctors' fees - if you have time on your hands. also, going down the public hospital route is not as bad as some think.

good luck!

rani is offline Administrator

If their rates are published, then it will be hard to negotiate. But quite a few will just write it on a piece of paper during the consultation. If its out of your budget, then I would be honest and let him know, and see if there's room to negotiate.

geomum is offline Registered User

I don't think doctors negotiate their packages/ fee. If someone is really desperate for patients they might but not sure if any good doctor is.

Tini is offline Registered User

I don't think so either that negotiation is an option. Doctors are pretty stuck on their fees (very aggressive I have to say). But try anyways! The thing is though that you never know what else treatment you or your baby may need. I guess the shock will come to us all when we have to pay the bill.

geomum is offline Registered User

More so on what basis are you going to negotiate? And wouldn't it be unfair practice to charge people differently?

rani is offline Administrator

They charge people differently if you're in a private or ward, and they're doing exactly the same job! Isn't that unfair?

The first Dr I saw, said he would charge me $20K for a natural delivery. He quoted another mum in my baby group $30K ( he knew she was 100% covered through her husband's work.)

Last edited by rani; 02-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.

matemate is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=rani;942939]They charge people differently if you're in a private or ward, and they're doing exactly the same job! Isn't that unfair?QUOTE]

that's exactly the point that bugs me. i pay every dollar out of my own pocket, so i just think it's not right to charge me like double in a private room vs ward, when the actual service is not even provided in that room. it's simply an instrument to assess people's willingness to pay and then charge them higher.

what i wonder is whether anyone ever went through a formal quotation process where the doctor puts his charges down on a paper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast