Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DVDs for babies

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

DVDs for babies

my bubba loves watching teletubbies and he is reaching 8 months soon. i have seen him develop lots of actions/reactions since he started watching them. i thought he would get bored at the repetitiveness and also i wanted to "up" his viewing level so i bought dvds of barneys, mickey mouse and tom and jerry last week but he wouldn't show any interest on them but as soon as i put on teletubbies - everything makes sense to him (looks like!!).

can some mums shed some light on which dvds your lil ones loved and at what ages were they watching (and ofcourse learning) so and so?

cheers!

yonge is offline Registered User

We waited till our older son was 11 months before letting him watch Hi-5, Brainy Baby and Baby Can Read. We then introduced at 18 months, other content such as Blues Clues, Kipper, Wallace and Gromit, Pre-School Power and VeggieTales. Disney, including Little Einsteins was only introduced at age 3. We found that he was very sensitive and would get "stressed" watching anything with any tension in it. We also favored the ones where the narrator/characters spoke clearly and where the film editing didn't frequently cut in and out too quickly as some children find it dizzying. We averaged about 2 hours a day when he was younger, but we probably watch no more than an hour a day, now that he has more things to do. He was speaking and reading by age 2 and I do credit the videos for introducing new ideas to him - at least more than my energy and level of creativity would have enabled at the time as I was working full-time then. Of course, our younger son was watching anything his older brother was watching, so he started earlier. He's not yet 2, but is speaking earlier, but not yet reading as I suspect we're not quite as organized in how we've been introducing new things to him, so he's probably more confused!

The other thing was that our children loved to listen and dance to music. We'd have music in the background about another 2 hours a day. I would also separately have DVDs of what the adults wanted to watch - generally, orchestral performances, which the children would also enjoy a couple of times a week.

louisouis is offline Registered User

My son LOOOOOVES Noddy!

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

@yonge, thanks for your post. i'll check the DVDs that you have mentioned.

@louisouis, how old is your son? has he learned words or actions from it yet?

southside852 is offline Registered User

My son has been obsessed with Hi-5 and Blue's Clues since 20 months and he is now 25 months. He love dancing to the music and has indeed picked up a lot of vocab. He also watches Leap Frog's Letter Factory dvds.

He didn't take an interest in tv until around 12/13 months. He watched CBeebies shows like Teletubbies, In the Night Garden and Baby Einstein.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

If you have the Australia Network channel, they have a show called Playschool on every day at about 9:30am and 3pm, I think. This show is about 40 years old - I used to watch it when I was a kid, and I think it's great for kids particularly from about a year to probably 6 or so. They do a lot of singing and stuff - it's quite interactive, like they are there talking to your kid. I really like it and try to watch it with my 15 month old most days, if we're home at the time. The two shows are identical though (although in Australia, they have two shows a day and each is different). Being Australian as well, I think it's great that my daughter can hear Aussie accents on TV as well as American etc... but actually, Playschool is the only thing that she will actually WATCH. Other things just end up being background noise.

Neha is offline Banned

Baby tv is great on now tv

cesh is offline Registered User

my dd is 4 months. We love the Wiggles (9am Aussie Network most weekdays) and can handle a bit of baby einstein before getting bored. Playschool is great too.
    it's really trial and error. we got baby network as friends had said their kids loved it at 4 months, but dd is not interested. she's hot and cold with barney too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast