Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weaning...

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Weaning...

I've decided to wean my little one after 10.5 months of breastfeeding...I now only BF him twice a day - once in the morning and once at night (he gets formula in the afternoon). I don't think he will (or at least I hope he won't) have too many problems with it because he gets a top up bottle of formula at night anyways and sometimes if I have early morning meetings, he gets a bottle of formula in the morning. What is the best way to get my supply to decrease? Since I've never done it before, wanted to get advice on it....thanks!

geomum is offline Registered User

In my opinion your supply might have decreased a lot already since you are feeding only twice a day. Start dropping the morning or evening feed whichever comfortable for you and your baby. If your breasts feel full just hand express little amount till you feel a bit lighter. Should take a week or two till the supply drops further.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Generally weaning as slowly as possible is recommended. The more slowly you wean the easier it is for your breasts to adjust.

But the principle of breastfeeding is the more milk you take out the more milk you make. So to reduce the amount you make out, reduce the amount you take out. Leaving your breasts full of milk is the quickest way to reduce your supply.

Unfortunately sometimes your breasts can't cope with this. If you become uncomfortable than take a small amount of milk out until you are comfortable again. Don't take a whole feed out or this will make your breasts produce more - just enough to be comfortable again.

I often suggest that you hand express to do this rather than using a pump. Sometimes with a pump you continue and take too much out but as hand expressing is a chore you are more likely to stop as soon as comfortable.

Another thing to think about is that as long as you are breastfeeding your baby I getting the benefits of being a breastfed baby - even if this is only one feed a day or one feed every couple of days.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

my supply decreased once my bubba got introduced to solids when he was 6 months.

daily feeding schedule:
    bottle (formula) at 9am - 8 ozs
    organic rice cereal at 12pm
    fruit puree and a bottle of water at 3pm
    organic rice cereal at 5pm
    breastfeed at 630pm (when i get home)
    breastfeed when he wakes up once/twice during the night

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

You could always just do a week or so of one feed a day, then a week of once every 2nd day...

I weaned my daughter at 14 months (well she pretty much self weaned) and it went from twice a day, to once a day, to once every 2nd day... when I stopped completely I had no problems at all with engorgement or anything like that - I didn't notice ANYTHING at all. I've had friends who went from a few feeds a day to nothing - and it was a DIFFICULT process for them. I definitely recommend drawing it out a bit longer but ultimately it will make you more comfortable!!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

It sounds like you`re naturally doing it the right way, dropping a feed here and there. Your supply is probably not very high at this point anyway.
    I would keep doing what you`re doing, and just start to drop the morning feed, maybe not even every day, so it doesn`t look like you`re intentionally doing so:)
    Your supply will naturally decrease, as you naturally decrease your sessions. I did it (unintentionally, just following my son) that way and I didn`t have any discomfort whatsoever.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies for all your helpful replies! One question - rather than dropping one full feed at a time, could I just feed shorter each time and top up with a bottle? I feel that may be easier than all of a sudden cutting out a meal altogether.....

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Yeah, you`re right, that`s even more natural, I think. That`s actually what I did when it seemed like my son wasn`t getting enough from his final and only feed of the day. I just started topping up with a bottle. Then he just started giggling at me after taking a few sucks and went straight from the bottle. It was like he thought it was a big joke because there wasn`t much milk in there. And so that feed was dropped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast