Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

More about wills

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

My executor is a 15 hour flight away, and though I wonder if he`s even thought about it, I never assumed it would go any other way than for him to come here to pick up our kid(s), who would in the meantime stay with the temporary guardians, not in state care. I would be too afraid to ask that of my proposed temp guardian here in HK anyway.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I guess it would be up to the temporary guardian. What if no flights were available (either way to/from HK) for a day or so...

southside852 is offline Registered User

we got our Will done last year in our home country - US since that is where we will eventually settled again.

The Will names our guardians in case of emergency, death etc...but since we live in asia now, we have also drawn up here "deed of guardianship" which names our closest friends here who would take care of our son while waiting for his guardian from the US to fly over. This paperwork was done here.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

southside852 - would you mind PMing who you used here in HK please. Am sure Shenzhennifer would probably like the contact details also.

Thanks for sharing.

LeahH is offline Registered User

Hi southside, would you mind PMing me the firm you used for the deed of guardianship. thanks

southside852 is offline Registered User

I am so sorry, but let me clarify - we now live in Singapore and that is what I meant by "here." We had a lawyer in Singapore draw up the papers, but I am sure many of the firms in HK can do it. We chose one in Singapore that was American based so communication was not a problem and the lawyer immediately understood what kind of document we were looking for. Some reputable US law firms in HK are:

Latham & Watkins
    Skadden, Arps
    Simpson Thacher
    Shearman & Sterling
    Fried Frank
    Baker & McKenzie

We found talking to an American based firm rather than a local firm, much easier to convey our needs and reason for wanting this kind of documentation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top