Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Confinement Nanny (Pui Yuet)? To hire or not? Recommendations

carang is offline Registered User

the pork feet in ginger vingegar/// is that GEUNG CHO?

man, it took me ages to convince my mother-in-law that nothing bad was going to happen to me or my baby if i didn't eat that stuff... yuck!

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Yes, lol! My sister also hated it when my mom made that for her. But here it is also a tradition to gift that to relatives and friends when the baby is born.

i REALLY can't stand the stuff. i am not fond of "traditional" chinese food. i try not to make a big deal about it so that i don't influence my kids (half-chinese), but there are times that i have a very difficult time not turning my nose up! LOL!

gins is offline Registered User

well, I have a philippine helper and have also hired a pui yuet for a month after I gave birth to my first baby. I think a pui yuet is quite helpful, apart from taking care of the baby (since they are usually more experienced than your helper and can help to train up your helper, well, if they get along), they know what kind of soup and food to cook for you after birth. I think there's quite a big difference between western and chinese style here as to what to eat after giving birth. Personally, cause my first baby had jaundice for quite a long time in the first month, I refused to eat any Chinese herbs which are supposed to be good for your body/health after giving birth, but now I feel that I am much weaker than I was before I gave birth. So, this time for my second baby, I have hired another pui yuet to make sure that I will get all the good soup and Chinese herbs, so I think that's a very important reason for having a pui yuet other than a helper.

loubiaddict is offline Registered User

Carang: All my relatives are mostly overseas, so that's why I was wondering if any moms here would know any good live-in nannies.
    I know what you mean by can't stand the typical traditional stuff. I'm 100% Chinese but growing up in North America I'm not so sure if I can keep those food down.
    Gataloca: I personally am not that persistent about the whole traditions. However, I do have really traditional in-laws and since they live in China they are really concern about the whole "first month" issue.
    Gins: Having a Philippine helper and a pui yuet is what my husband wants for me too. However, I would like to hear what are the advice from experienced moms. Thanks!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

I had a helper and a pui yuet and am really glad I had both. My helper is great, but the last time that she took care of a newborn was 8 years ago when she had her second child. So as a first time mum, it was great to have my pui yuet teaching us me the ropes and helping my helper with a refresher course. Also, my pui yuet, who is a pretty good cook, taught my helper to make a number of Chinese dishes. As for the traditional herbs and other stuff, I didn't really eat a lot of them. I told my pui yuet what I wanted to eat and didn't want to eat and she cooked what I liked! We did make the geung cho (pork feet in ginger vinegar) but we made it mainly to give away to relatives as per Chinese tradition. As for me, I just ate the boiled eggs that were soaked in the vinegar.

I think there is a misconception out there that if you hire a pui yuet, she will make you eat all sorts of weird traditional stuff. She won't - if she's a good one, she will listen to you and cook stuff that you like to eat.

monte is offline Registered User

I admit that I don't know what a confinement nanny is, but back in the states I got some really good advice from my midwife. She said that many times family wants to come and help with the baby, but actually what you need is someone to do everything else--cook, clean, laundry--so that YOU can take care of the baby and learn how to do it. I think this holds whether it's a helper, a confinement nanny or your mother or mother-in-law! You learn how to take care of the baby by doing it ... all babies are different and no one will know your baby as well as you do. The nurses in the hospital will show you how to diaper and bathe the baby and let you practice, and you can get a lactation consultant to help with feeding. People at Annerley or the Family Zone can help with sleep issues ... I really think it's best to arrange for help--whether a helper or a confinement nanny--with all the other household stuff and plan to get to know your baby yourself.
    I'm not saying that you won't need a break now and then, or that you should feel guilty for wanting that break, just saying that you will only gain confidence in your mothering skills by being as hands-on as possible in the early weeks.

monte i agree with you 100%!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast