Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

13 mth old: milk or formula? Bottle or cup?

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    Ah, nice idea there. My son has started getting like that too. What brand of vitamin do you give him?
    Shenzhennifer,

The brand I use is USANA, which I get from the US. You can't buy them in stores. I found a distributer through EBAY. They are alot better quality than the vitamins you can buy in the shops.

Welcome to USANA.com!

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i weaned my daugher at 1 from formula too...she didn't develop allergies from cow's milk, so now (at 18mths) she is fully on that - i buy different brands because of the issue with hormones etc....she uses the cup to drink at meals now, but she did use the bottle when she was sick because she was being fussy with her food and I wanted to make sure she drank enough milk (she doesn't drink quite as much with a cup)

southside852 is offline Registered User

why don't you just give cow's milk as eventually that is what they'll need to drink unless there is a concern for allergy. We switched right to cow's milk at 13 months to see if he would take it. He did, so there was no need to mix it with his old formula. it's so much easier when you travel - no need to bring the heavy tins etc...we just use the small UHT milk containers from Paul's.

Right when he turned 2, we bagged all his bottles up and hid them up high and just gave him the option of his cups and straws (he never liked those sippy cups). He found one he liked (we had about 4 choices) and that's what we use now.

I find that when you guide their choices, it makes things so much easier.

vitasoy_125ml is offline Registered User

I am breastfeeding my 9 month baby and i want to start weaning her because i'm going to work soon. My doctor suggested giving her cow's milk at 9 months, he said i don't need to wait till 1 yrs if i don't have history of allergies to milk. So you don't really need to keep him on formula, and i'm sure he's getting alot of the nutrients from other food he is eating.

I think you should start training him on zippy cup or cup...they just need to keep practicing..eventually he will know how to drink from it..

Tini is offline Registered User

I introduced cow's milk when my son was 1yr old. I have forgotten exactly how i did it, but i think i gave him a little milk in the beginning to see how he would tolerate it and then i slowly supplemented his formula with cow's milk. He pretty much weaned himself off the bottle. He used to get 200mls in the mornings but wouldn't drink it anymore, so we left it. From a milk lover he developed into an anti-milk drinker :( Only milk products he likes is either cheese or milk ice-cream.

I introduced zippy cups at around 1yr but never found them very good, so i switched to drinking from a regular cup. They adapt to cups so quickly and of course there are going to be lots of spills but by the time the eat proper food with hands it gets even messier :)

southside852 is offline Registered User

we love the doidy cups! they are a bit slanted so the child can see the liquid coming towards him. we gave it to our son at 1 years old. Every day, we just plopped him in a highchair for 10 minutes, covered him with a towel/raincoat and let him just have fun trying to figure out how the cup worked and how fast the water would come out when he tried to drink it. it's wet, it's messy, but it's the only way they learn. they sell the cups at bumps to babes.

Doidy, Doidy Cup, Doidy weaning cup, Bickiepegs, slanted drinking cup, weening cup, cup with handles, sloping cup, cup a

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12