Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Going out with a newborn questions

3Tower is offline Registered User

Going out with a newborn questions

Hello parents and fellow mother-to-be!

We are looking into prams/stroller for the arrival of our first baby in early July.

We wanted a light stroller as there are a lot of places in Hong Kong that are not stroller friendly and I want to make sure it is not difficult to carry both the baby and the stroller when I need to.

We recently bought a Per Perego Si Sportivo that has contradicting information about using it for a newborn. I wanted to ask if you could please tell me what are your insight/experiences regarding the following:

- What are the most common outings after the baby is born?
    - What did you use to take out your newborn baby?
    - Is it important to get a stroller designed for a newborn and change to a lighter one after just a few months?

Thank you and hope to hear from you regarding this topic.

Regards,
    3Tower

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Hi 3Tower !

We have been to the easiest... I carried my son in a sling for the 3 first months then I used the Ergo Baby Carrier (till he was 15 or 17 months old). From 3 months, we used the McLaren XT if needed, with a comfy cover... I know it does not look like the most comfortable or "special newborn" pram, but it went really fine. We are still using it, and plan to use it for our second.
    It's quite easy to use, as i could carry my son in one hand and close the pram with the other one... in fact there is always someone (even the taxi driver) to help you if you ask.
    If I took the bus or taxi, I would put my son in the Ergo and take the pram folded with me. Then I would put the Ergo in the pocket under the pram.
    Good luck !

southside852 is offline Registered User

we used the MacLaren XT as well from birth and then carried our son around too like Frenchy did. First the Bjorn for the first 6 months and then used the Ergo up until around 17 months.

For the first 2 months, I really just did local walks with our son - in our neighborhood. Nothing too major as I was always so concerned with germs etc...in indoor places. We mostly stayed outdoors.

mcdill is offline Registered User

Common outings - visiting doctor, visiting friends, dining out, going for short strolls when weather is nice, meeting up with other mums for playgroups or classes (eg Pekip).

We mainly used the Ergo carrier with infant insert for outings during the first months, especially when walking outdoors in crowded places.
    When she developed better neck control, we used the stroller more, but mostly in shopping malls.

I don't think you need to change the stroller after a few months - a few years maybe. Many lightweight strollers like Combi are designed for newborn until toddler stage.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

We just used a baby Bjorn for the first 4 months. We did have a large Mountain Buggy pram but we only bought that as we were moving back to Australia when he was 4 months old and needed it for the airport.

As for outings we took him by taxi over to Stanley, walked around the Peak and also caught the ferry over to DB for lunch. It was nice just to stroll around these areas. I tried to avoid indoor areas as much as possible.

Tini is offline Registered User

I carried my son in a sling until he was 5 months, then I got a stroller, but that was back in England. HK is indeed a very buggy/ stroller unfriendly city. For my next one now I will do it exactly as I did with my son, carry him in the sling. I loved it very much having him so close to me. Buggies are not really suitable for newborns as they cannot lie flat in them, which is bad for the development of their spine. Their spine doesn't have an S-shape yet as with older kids and adults and that's is why it's crucial for them to be lying on a flat, hard surfaces. That's why I prefer the sling. Carriers only if they are a little older. But the Ergo with baby inlet is good too.

3Tower is offline Registered User

To Frenchy, Southside852, Mcdill, Karmah1, and Tini,

Thank you very much for replying and for your input. The information you provided is a big help to us.

Reagrds,
    3Tower

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Kudos to these supermoms with super backs. I couldn`t carry around my baby all day, even when he was young. I reserved the bjorn and sling for shorter trips and emergencies (kept it with me in the stroller).
    I have a really light combi stroller, only 4.2 kgs. Everyone comments on how light it is. I know I made the right decision about this stroller, especially here in HK where nobody ever offers to help you lift the stroller up and down stairs. I used the stroller from birth til now (over a year) and have no intentions of switching yet.

I pretty much took my baby everywhere with me. I mean, within reason - like to the supermarkets, malls, friends` homes, doctor, park, for a walk, etc. In the beginning I even took him to restaurants with us. He just slept when he was a newborn, and when he was a bit older, we would wait til he went to sleep at night and instead of putting him in his bed, we put him in the stroller and went out to eat. Sadly that is nooooo longer an option.

Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 03-03-2010 at 10:14 AM.