Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

9 months old, is jarred pasta sauce ok?!

Bumps Guest

I chop up some vine tomatoes, cook them in olive oil and add fresh basil and a little garlic- it is so easy and damn delicious.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I didn`t give (and still don`t) my baby jarred pasta sauce. I just get canned tomatoes and make my own. Super fast, super easy, super pure.
    The ready made stuff is full of added sodium and preservatives. Especially under a year, you have to be really careful with the amount of salt your baby gets. It can be very taxing on their little kidneys.
    (then later I read that canned stuff is not good for babies bc of BPA. just can`t win.)

carang is offline Registered User

my problem is that i HATE fresh tomatoes...can't even stand to cut them... so i resort to jarred pasta sauce.

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the replies. I won't give him jarred pasta sauce. But, is fresh tomatoes ok for a 9-month-old baby? I recall I've kind of read something long time ago saying that fresh tomatoes are not recommended to baby under so-and-so of age... I wasn't sure so I never tried to make fresh tomato sauce. If it is ok, I know I can make my own sauce very easily. Anyway, bought some avocado Gonna make some pasta with it for tomorrow lunch.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I never heard that fresh tomatoes are bad, but I think they are introduced a little later because of the possible acidity. My 14 month old still doesn`t like fresh ones, but likes tomato sauce.
    1 can of tomatoes(any style), any veg you want(onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms), any meat you want(mince beef), a little bit of cooking and BOOM you`re done. Spin a little portion in the blender for your baby and see what he thinks. Even if he doesn`t like it, you can eat it. Add a bit of milk for a creamier taste, cheese for flavouring, etc.

City Jammer is offline Registered User

It is not necessary to use tomatoes for your baby's pasta sauce. I used carrots, pumpkin and green peas and cooked them with very little minced garlic and blended the whole lot. You can easily serve that with pasta. My baby girl would eat it all within 10 min.

Great ideas, City Jammer! Sounds so delicicious! Thanks...

Hi, just want to let you know that yesterday I made my son some pasta with salmon, pumpkin, green peas, and blended them with a small cube of cheese and he LOVVVVVEEEED it sooo much! He kept asking for more even after finishing a whole bowl of it. Thanks ladies for some thought. Fresh ingredients is always the best...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12