Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Travelling with newborn

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

We travelled with newborns twice - both times when they were about 6 weeks old. It was fine. Second time the newborn was a dream ... it was our toddler that was a problem ...! Breastfeeding definitely easier on board

SB2

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

travelling with an infant is def easier. i travelled with mine when he was 3 weeks old and also when he turned 4 months and he slept throughout the flight (cant say the same thing now as he is far more active!).

pls make sure that your bub is sucking on the breast/bottle/dummy while ascending and descending to help with the ear-popping. also, pack a bottle of liquid panadol incase bub gets sick.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

I agree with the other posters, travelling with the newborn is the easy bit, it just takes a spot of planning. You can take sterilized bottles and tetrapaks of pre-made formula if you're not bf.

I went on holiday with The Boy at 5 weeks, wouldn't have missed it for the world but I completely failed to anticipate how hard I would find it to relax in those early baby days - hormones, me and baby still getting to know each other, worry about eating/sleeping/routines, still trying to bf. I enjoyed seeing my family but was exhausted by the time I got back. My tip would be not to plan to do too much when you are there or expect too much of yourself!

carang is offline Registered User

i took my newborn daughter to canada when she was 5 weeks old. i also took my then 2yr old.... by myself! if i could handle a 36 hour door-to-door by myself, i'm sure you will be ok!

good luck and have fun!

cesh is offline Registered User

We take enough bottles pre-filled with water and just stick travel caps on them (don't use the normal bottle cap on the Dr Brown or Tomme Tippee bottles as the water will leak out - not sure about other brands), then we take enough formula for the full travel and transit time. f course we always take too much water/formula/nappies, but it just means we're not worried.
    I just cover the baby up if they are spraying the plane. Not much you can do about the air but honestly, considering the air quality in Hong Kong, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Do take a pacifier if they are Bottle fed. I pop one in and rock my baby to sleep during the safety lecture and she's off before take-off.
    We've only flown at 9 weeks, 12 weeks and 5 months, but so far no problems.

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Go and enjoy your holiday!!! Don't worry about anything just do it! It may be the last holiday you get for a while! I took my 4 week old baby on the plane from Aus to HK which is around 9 hours and he slept the whole time too. I took formula in pre-packaged packets that you can buy from the store coz I was too shy to breast feed him on the plane but in the end I just had to! They are really accommodating on the flights and helpful so GO AND HAVE FUN :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12