Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Travelling Advice with a 14 month old

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Travelling Advice with a 14 month old

I'll be travelling for two weeks in Europe with my son in 2 months. He will be 14 months old then. Was wondering, in terms of food, what should I bring along with us (any jar baby food brand recommendations) or what would you order for a 14 month old to eat when you are out? I separately cook all my baby's food right now, though am starting to give him a taste of our food too. He has had jar baby food before, but hasn't had it in a few months and doesn't love it - so I better start training him to eat some now! I'm just worried that he shouldn't be eating restaurant food everyday for all his meals for 2 weeks! Any advice on this would be great. Thanks.

penelope is offline Registered User

wich country will you be going to?

louisouis is offline Registered User

Bring lots of milk powder, just in case he changes his appetite due to the new environment and climate. Then you can at least know that he is getting lots of nutrition from his milk if he does not fancy eating. I brought my son to the UK during Christmas, and he did not really fancy the food and was trying to adjust to the time zone and was basically very challenging, so he basically relied on his milk for major nutrition and comfort. As I did not bring enough milk powder along, there was a mad rush and luckily he was able to drink another brand.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

We'll be in France and Italy mainly......I was also thinking if worse comes to worse, he'll just be relying on formula for nutrition. Luckily he likes fruit too (only the sweet kind) so at least I know he will eat that!

So louisouis - what did you try to feed your son when you were in the UK and how old was he then?

baffelly is offline Registered User

How about order some plain rice or plain pasta, or as for grill fish without sauce? My baby actually likes jar food (Heinz organic for older babies, used to be healthy time when he wad small) but I don't want to give him too much of that as he turned a bit yellow after a week of those stuff last time we travelled. We are going away for a few days and I plan to make him rice, couscous or pasta and mix with jar food for taste. We are staying at a house with kitchen but I don't want to do serious cooking. Will also buy cheese for him. Peanut butter should be another easy source of protein.

hol
    hol is offline Registered User

Take your own formula as a change can ready put their systems off. Fruit is a good choice as it can be mashed and easily eaten. You can also ask some places to mash steamed vegtables. Yogurts are another easy and good source when traveling. If your child likes the baby cereals, it is still a good option plus it is light weight.

penelope is offline Registered User

I don t know about italy but I m french so I can help you with France. Unfortunately the restaurants in France are not baby friendly at all: the norm is no high chair no changing table... And if there is a kid s menu it will be the usual nuggets and fries. In supermarket you can find some "good" baby food look for the brand BLEDICHEF they re little plates with usually a good balance of meat or fish veggies and carbs. depending on the age group they ll be pureed or with bits. I put a link for google images so you ll know what I m talking about . they can be microwaved.
    For milk in France you can find powder milk of course and already made formula bottles . they come in in big 1L or small 200ml wich are pretty handy when travelling .they re UHT so you can keep them in your car or your bag .
    Enjoy!!
    bledichef - Google Search

carang is offline Registered User

don't know why you wouldn't just give him the restaurant food. you are really making it difficult for yourself.

by the time your child is 12 months old, he can eat pretty much everything you do, just in smaller quantities...

really, the food int he countries you are going to is fantastic and there is no reason in the world not to feed him from your own plate.

life is difficult enough... why make it moreso?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast