Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Missing the family...

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

Wow. This thread has made my day... in the sense that, I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. We've moved to Beijing now after 7 years in HK. When I moved from Canada to HK, it was a culture shock, but I wasn't a mother yet. Now I'm a mother so moving to BJ with a 3 month old, and staying at home with her has been extremely stressful. My husband is local Chinese from near Beijing and so, my mother-in-law is staying with us to help out. MIL living with us is stressful... but that's another story.

I miss my family more than ever and am thinking about every day how I'd love for them to know their grandchild more. The Internet has done wonders for us though. I actually think she recognizes them a bit now.. :)

I also miss Canada more than ever, ... although I've told my hubby I will settle with HK if we have to stay in Asia. But in my heart, I really want my children (or "child" for now) to be able to ride their bikes around the block, run through the sprinklers, go to the many many parks with lots of green grass and a blue sky.

@ Carang, I understand you completely. Many of my high school friends (all Asian) are in HK now, and our HK group is bigger than our Vancouver group! I also wonder if Canada would still be a good fit for me now...

carang is offline Registered User

i still have the pangs of homesickness. but i find that when a new challenge presents itself, the homesickness eases quite a bit. i'm in the middler of opening a new playgroup centre and i've just found out that my two teachers at my current centre are leaving... coupled with my helper moving to canada about 6 weeks ago, helping my husband with his business, i just don't have time to think about it so much lately. which is good because it was getting so bad, it hurt.

i'm a little disappointed because i was planning on taking the kids back for a month during the summer, but it doesn't look like it will work out... too much going on, i'm afraid.

Carang, keeping busy is definitely good. Being a stay-at-home mom right now in a new place with a 7 month old is definitely taking its toll. If I were working, I wouldn't be able to do a 3 month home visit which I am planning now. So I feel lucky. We are not, by any means, wealthy... I chose not to work actually because I didn't want my MIL taking care of my daughter full time. I saw what "damage" (and I use this word very loosely) can be done. So I sacrificed my own career I took so long to build. :( C'est la vie. I get told it will pay off... I hope so.

As she approaches one year, I think I will be on the lookout for business/career opportunities that allow flexibility. If we're going to go back to Canada, we need money!!

I love this thread. Vent vent vent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123