Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you take your baby to the doctor if he has a fever?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Would you take your baby to the doctor if he has a fever?

Just interested in other mummies would do....my son has had a low grade fever (between 99 and 100.8 degrees) since late yesterday afternoon. Other than having the fever, being more tired than usual and not really having a big appetite, he doesn't have any other symptoms. I want to take my son to see a doctor this afternoon, but my husband feels that there is no need and we should just continue giving childrens paracetomol to reduce his fever. I am always the more cautious one of the two of us. What would you do in this situation? Thanks for your thoughts!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I don't even give paracetamol for low grade fevers, unless she's obviously uncomfortable or unless there are other symptoms. I don't take her to the doc if she's got a runny nose either. Out of my hubby and I, I'm the less cautious one. I tend to say "It's just *such and such* and they're just going to tell us *blah blah blah*" - and so far I haven't been wrong yet. BUT if I wasn't sure it was just a minor childhood thing, I'd definitely take her to the doc.

My thoughts are, keep an eye on it if it's not too serious, keep them home, well rested, hydrated... and if things get worse or if it's somehow different/worse than usual, then take them...

Sleuth is offline Registered User

I would not take him to the doctor at that temperature.
    Is he teething?
    We can call our doctor and he'll tell us we are crazy and when to really bring him in.

carang is offline Registered User

i wouldn't either. i WOULD make sure he's getting enough liquids. it's very easy for a little one to dehydrate.

probably, i would take him in if it hits 102

LeahH is offline Registered User

No doctor at that level if bub is still drinking and eating. But I do give paracetemol for low grade fever (more to alleviate any pain than to bring the fever down).

That said, I just waited one week before taking my 1 year old to the doctor with a cough - he was very out of sorts and not himself. Turns out he had a chest infection and the Dr said always bring them in if you feel something is not right - you are the best judge. He was immediately better after antibiotics and I wish I'd taken him sooner.

pixelelf is offline Registered User

i wouldnt. unless it persists for more than 3 days. or accompanying there's diarrhea/ vomitting. in fact, my doc ordered, unless the baby has fever for more than 3 days / fever is 41 degrees / i have money to burn, stay home. you can tell, i have annoyed my doc quite abit haha!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

My baby was sick last week with fever, etc. I took him to the doctor on the 3rd day of fever (37-39 fluctuating) and when he was really acting sick and lethargic.
    For low grade fevers, I don`t give him anything unless he is suffering. I figure the fever is doing its work to fight off whatever is the problem, so unless it gets too high or ifmy baby is suffering, I leave it alone and just give him extra hugs.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i would definitely give paracetamol, because any fever if it spikes could result in a febrile convulsion when your baby is not fully developed...those happen SO quickly, you just don't want to risk it. (i should say, my daughter was hospitalized for febrile convulsion, so I am extra cautious). anyhow, i wouldn't take to the doctor but if 100.8 lingers for one full day, then i would...that's a low grade fever, but that also means she's fighting something and you might want to know exactly what. in the mean time, cold baths to lower the temp. work wonders, as does plenty of fluids (my daughter doesn't like water, so we ended up giving her lots of chinese soup)...because of my daughter's past history, i want to know sooner than later - that's just me though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast